FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Match videos for December!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Match videos for December!
    Posted: Dec 04 2023 at 12:33pm
Back for our ninth season (nine already??)... we'll be filming District 1 matches once again and publishing them on our YouTube channel.

Our schedule for the first three Wednesdays is now set.

Most people believe the top three teams in District 1 AAA this season are Council Rock South, Pennridge, and Quakertown.  While those teams are all in the SOL, they are in different divisions.  Luckily they will face each other in a pseudo-round-robin here in December, and we'll be covering all three of those matches.

December 6th = Council Rock South at Pennridge
December 13th = Quakertown at Council Rock South
December 20th = Pennridge at Quakertown

Should be a great way to get the dual meet season underway!

The full schedule of matches and links to those match videos will be available on our Videos page:
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2023 at 12:35pm
If there are any matches on the schedule you think we should cover, please let me know.  You can either post something here, send me a DM on the forum, or shoot me an email (email@pa-wrestling.com).
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2023 at 8:05am
Video from last night's match between Council Rock South and Pennridge is now on the channel:

Apologies for not having the correct wrestlers listed early in the dual.  Unfortunately the wrestler's were being announced before each bout.  Thanks for a few CRS folks for helping us out, and huge thanks to 4th grader Charlie Smith for helping us out with some Pennridge names and for joining Joe and Glenn briefly on the call of the match.
B1Gfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B1Gfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2023 at 9:55am
Thanks again for doing these - there were errors for both teams through HWT just so you are aware. The exposure for the kids is great, but the commentary suffers when it seems unprepared.

Hopefully you can get cooperation from coaches to get a weight sheet / things to look for in matchups, or get a JV kid / parent / something to help out in the future. I understand when it is kids you have not seen, but Riley Cullen for example wrestled HWT for Pennridge, is a multi year starter, ranked in the region and state at 215 and PA Wrestling has done a ton of their matches, yet he was called by the wrong name.

Getting this stuff correct does right by the kids who are providing the content for the channel.

Edited by B1Gfan - Dec 07 2023 at 9:56am
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2023 at 10:29am
Originally posted by B1Gfan B1Gfan wrote:

Thanks again for doing these - there were errors for both teams through HWT just so you are aware. The exposure for the kids is great, but the commentary suffers when it seems unprepared.

Hopefully you can get cooperation from coaches to get a weight sheet / things to look for in matchups, or get a JV kid / parent / something to help out in the future. I understand when it is kids you have not seen, but Riley Cullen for example wrestled HWT for Pennridge, is a multi year starter, ranked in the region and state at 215 and PA Wrestling has done a ton of their matches, yet he was called by the wrong name.

Getting this stuff correct does right by the kids who are providing the content for the channel.

Something that's desperately needed is to announce the names of the wrestlers at the beginning of each bout.  Many schools do this already but many, many do not and I'm not sure why.  When you don't announce the names, many people in the stands have no idea who's actually wrestling.  This should be a requirement for sport, to be honest.  That or put numbers on the singlets, since every other sport has realized numbers on uniforms helps people identify the athletes (but that's a rant I'll complete another time, lol).

Normally we would have asked for weigh-in sheets (though that still won't always tell you who's wrestling if no announcement is made) but we had a bunch of technical issues we were dealing with prior to the match.  We almost don't even record it because of all the issues.  I'm just glad we were able to get it working.
Cross body View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cross body Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2023 at 11:22am
Somebody seems a little butt hurt they did not announce their kids name. Its gotta be hard for them when there are JV kids in the lineup. They will get your sons name right next time. 

Willie1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2023 at 11:42am
They should really announce the kids names when they check in at the table. Kids and family both would love to hear it announced and everyone would know who's wrestling. I know we do it at Boyertown.
B1Gfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B1Gfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2023 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Cross body Cross body wrote:

Somebody seems a little butt hurt they did not announce their kids name. Its gotta be hard for them when there are JV kids in the lineup. They will get your sons name right next time. 

Nah, my kid is long gone. This is not a first either, there are always mistakes but this is by far the worst I have seen where I knew who most of the kids were who should be wrestling for each team. I think 5 or 6 matches were wrong last night.

These guys (PA-W) provide a huge service to the wrestling community. These are two of the top teams in the state and not one newspaper reporter was on hand to write a story. The sport gets terrible local coverage.

All I am saying is that it would be worth the effort in the future to set up help identifying, especially since this is something that happens (to a lesser degree) in almost all the broadcasts. PA Wrestling would not be doing this if they did not want to promote the sport, and it is great that they do this for those of us who are not driving around the district to go see all the matches, it is just constructive criticism.

Everything about the broadcast was top notch except the confusion on who was actually on the mat.

Edited by B1Gfan - Dec 07 2023 at 11:47am
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2023 at 12:24pm
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2023 at 12:33pm

These guys (PA-W) provide a huge service to the wrestling community. These are two of the top teams in the state and not one newspaper reporter was on hand to write a story. The sport gets terrible local coverage.

I did see a local sports reporter there, though haven't seen an article online yet.

Sadly almost all local news coverage, not just sports, is suffering from a variety of problems...none of which are the fault of the actual reporters.  Over the past few years some of the current/former wrestling beat reporters have mentioned they aren't allowed to write stories on games/matches anymore because their bosses have said "no one reads those stories" but that's just dumb.  Whatever, that explains some of the issues with coverage in certain areas.
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2023 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Willie1234 Willie1234 wrote:

They should really announce the kids names when they check in at the table. Kids and family both would love to hear it announced and everyone would know who's wrestling. I know we do it at Boyertown.

100%

I was shocked when we started traveling around to do matches that all schools didn't do it.  I think all the PAC schools do it, and I thought everyone did.  It's a simple thing to help make the sport a little more fan friendly.
Cross body View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cross body Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2023 at 12:45pm
My bad. You sounded like a whining JV parent. Turns out you’re just mad that they dont know the faces of every district 1 wrestler. Mike should really invest in some facial recognition software for these free broadcasts they do. 
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2023 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Cross body Cross body wrote:

My bad. You sounded like a whining JV parent. Turns out you’re just mad that they dont know the faces of every district 1 wrestler. Mike should really invest in some facial recognition software for these free broadcasts they do. 

Big smile
coachp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coachp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2023 at 8:41am
I was in the stands for the match and the speakers/announcer were not good at all. You couldn't hear a thing. It's like that in 99% of gyms.

It got me to thinking about this exact issue that we're talking about here. For the random fan, hell even myself who follows the sport fairly closely, how the hell do we know who is who out there?! It's a major hole in the sport. 

Some ideas: 
 - a simple and cheap tv can be used to put the weight and wrestlers name on it. They use it at some tournaments for scoring, etc. The wrestler checks in at the table, the table clicks on the kids name and up it goes on the 65" screen for all to see. Most if not all places have adopted the small table top scoreboard that is difficult to see across the gym anyway. Why not have a tv on either end of the gym with the name of said wrestler and their weight who's on the mat at that time? 
 - the classic old school name board. I wrestled in this very gym and we had a weight and name board. Manual I know but if people are scared of tech, that's an avenue. Problem comes when kids get bumped and moved in/out of a lineup. 

There really should be a very easy solution to this and it can only help the sport. Immensely. And selfishly, I know what it's like being Glenn and or Joe sitting there waiting to hear an announcement from across a loud gym when you can't hear the announcer at all. Then we play the guessing game and it sucks. 

Edited by coachp - Dec 08 2023 at 10:42am
ancienthatteroldram View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2023 at 4:09pm
We all could have known who was wrestling if the announcer had foregone his side-show carnival barker act when both teams were introduced. I thought perhaps he was auditioning for the WWF or channeling his inner Vince McMahon. His job was to inform the fans as to who was wrestling not to stir up the home side with his histrionic  grandstanding. 

Edited by ancienthatteroldram - Dec 08 2023 at 4:17pm
B1Gfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B1Gfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2023 at 4:28pm
Thanks again for this week and looking forward to the end of the opening trilogy next week. Hopefully the PA is as cooperative next week, you could even hear them last night on the video!
JoeYoungblood View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeYoungblood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2023 at 8:59am
To be fair to Pennridge, it was a great atmosphere to be part of.  We do not take what we do lightly and we realize how misinformed we were.  As Mike noted, there were some pre-match hurdles we had to overcome just to get the broadcast going that took time from getting weight sheets.  The gym acoustics didn't help and I do not think it would matter who was announcing, it was going to be unclear for us where we were sitting.  Steps were taken to ensure we do a better job moving forward.  Shoutout to 4th grader Charlie Smith who was helping us with names and jumped on the broadcast for a little bit.  Here is a pic of to give the guy a little credit!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic