FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weight changes, not so fast?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight changes, not so fast?
    Posted: May 20 2020 at 6:20pm
At today's PIAA Board of Director's meeting (which is still going on)... the board sent the plan to go to 13 weights to the Sports Medicine Advisory Committee for them to review first.  They also voted to have the same committee review the elimination of the two-pound growth allowance.

Mitch Rupert of the Williamsport Sun-Gazette was the first to report both of these items from today's call.

If any additional news comes out from the meeting, I'll post something.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
monkeyBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeyBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 7:39pm
Wow, just wow.  PIAA has the proposal for 3 weeks and just now sends it to a committee, when that committee could have been reviewing it for 3 weeks.  

Bet this has something to do with the threat of a lawsuit over the changes.  PIAA ain't touching this now.

When's the next meeting?
Shock the Monkey!
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 8:50pm
I believe the next PIAA meeting is scheduled for June 15th.  Don't know if anything that happened today would delay this to 2021-22 if approved or if they can still make the change for 2020-21 in June.  If/when I hear any additional details, I'll pass them along.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
cbal24 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbal24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:46pm
I like removing the 2 pound growth allowance.  That should reduce some of the post season drops.  It also is another move toward the college rules.
Win or lose, do it with class!
eas88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 6:31am
They also approve a motion to petition the NFHS to do a pilot program to allow facial hair.
The weight change motion will pass once it has been reviewed.   
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 9:51am
Just a minor point of clarification...  

The Board apparently voted unanimously (30-0) to approve the weight changes in the first reading but that it wanted the review from the sports medicine committee.  So then pending their review, it would come back to the main Board for their June 15th meeting for another reading and another vote.

I'm not sure what the sports medicine committee could find for or against the proposed changes that would have any effect on the Board's vote.  But we'll see in a few weeks.
castelli3017 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelli3017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 11:18am
Not happy about the removal of the 2 pound allowance. Is this just a PIAA thing? 

Triple H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 11:26am
Originally posted by castelli3017 castelli3017 wrote:

Not happy about the removal of the 2 pound allowance. Is this just a PIAA thing? 

The two pound allowance has always been a sham!  It just created a way for kids to suck even more weight and drop for the postseason.  Wrestle your weight!  Eat!  Dropping the allowance should level out the playing field a bit.
wrestlinggeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestlinggeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 11:53am

What is your reason for wanting to keep the 2 pound allowance?
Peterson5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterson5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 1:38pm
I think it's odd to get 2 pounds so early in the season. I feel like back in the day we got a pound at Christmas and another pound later in the year but maybe I'm remembering it wrong. 

Either way I think the kids want the 2 pounds and grown ups don't. 
monkeyBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeyBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 1:49pm
How many wrestlers actually use it for what it was meant to be - a growth allowance?  And how many use it as a tool to drop a weight class?

Seems an awful lot more use it to drop.  If that's the case, get rid of it.  We shouldn't be encouraging weight drops like that.
Shock the Monkey!
Peterson5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peterson5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 2:00pm
I agree we shouldn't be encouraging large weight drops, but isn't that what the preseason certification is about? Sure if a kid certs at 139 he won't be able to go down to 138 without the two pounds but most kids are going to find a way to cert at the flat weight if the rule changes. 
A lot of kids seem pretty relieved when they get 2 pounds because its early in the season and their body hasn't adjusted yet. 
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 2:44pm
there was one rule in the olden days when men were men that I still agree with. One had to wrestle at least half his dual meet matches at the weight he went in the post-season. That would eliminate the end-of-season drops by kids who wrestle the whole season at one weight, then go into the post season at a lower weight. Getting a pound a month increase sure helped me and a lot of other guys over the years. I wouldn't have made the weight in March that I made in December without surgery. OTOH, I see the reason for the rule's elimination, so I'm ambivilent. 
WT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 9:40pm
The NCAA made this change in 1976 it was a reversal of the growth allowance. Three pounds weight allowance granted in November and December, two pounds in January and one pound in February. The concept was to prevent the dropping of weight classes for the post season. Example 142 would start at 145 and end at 142 the next weight down would now be 134 not 137 as it was the previous season. This came about when the defending NCAA champ failed to make weight for the semi final. I actually liked this since the hardest time to make weight was November and December. 
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelli3017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 10:27am
Originally posted by wrestlinggeek wrestlinggeek wrote:

Wrestlinggeek,

The reason for me wanting to keep the 2 pound allowance is pretty simple. The PIAA wants to take away the 182 lb. weight class, which I have never had a problem filling in favor of the lightest weight classes. It is extremely difficult for me to find kids small enough to wrestle 106 at my school and that extra two pounds can be the difference between me filling 106 or forfeiting.  
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelli3017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Triple H Triple H wrote:

The two pound allowance has always been a sham!  It just created a way for kids to suck even more weight and drop for the postseason.  Wrestle your weight!  Eat!  Dropping the allowance should level out the playing field a bit.

Triple H,

I do make my kids wrestle what they weigh. However, since the PIAA wants to keep the weight class that produces the most forfeits, that extra 2 pounds is vital for me to attempt to fill 106 because we just don't have that many kids that small walking the hallways of my school 
Mctuna40 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 5:44pm

Originally posted by Triple H Triple H wrote:

Triple H,

I do make my kids wrestle what they weigh. However, since the PIAA wants to keep the weight class that produces the most forfeits, that extra 2 pounds is vital for me to attempt to fill 106 because we just don't have that many kids that small walking the hallways of my school 

Come on Dom!  PIAA wants to fix the FF problem by keeping a 2 weight classes they produce the top 2 amount of FFs and combining 2 classes that have a much lower Percentage of FFs!  It clearly makes sense!
monkeyBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeyBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Mctuna40 Mctuna40 wrote:

Come on Dom!  PIAA wants to fix the FF problem by keeping a 2 weight classes they produce the top 2 amount of FFs and combining 2 classes that have a much lower Percentage of FFs!  It clearly makes sense!

Tuna, no matter how many times you keep saying this, it's not going to make it true!

We all know you don't seem to understand facts when they don't fit your desired narrative (that the PIAA is stupid).  Stop spreading misinformation.  The PIAA never said they were going to do try to reduce the most forfeits possible.  If they did, please share with us where that was mentioned.

Fact #1: PIAA wanted to do something to reduce forfeits.
Fact #2: A proposal was created to go to 12 weights, with the lowest being 110 pounds.
Fact #3: An overwhelming number of PIAA coaches expressed a displeasure with going to 12 weights AND increasing the lightest weight from 106.
Fact #4: A new proposal was created for 13 weight classes while keeping the majority of coaches happy by not adjusting the light weight classes.

If the move to 13 weights is made official, it most certainly will cut down on the number of forfeits.

Will it have the biggest impact on forfeits?  Probably not.  But it WILL have a positive impact.  Less varsity spots creates more competition, and unless a large number of wrestlers decide to quit the sport - there will be fewer forfeits this season.

Don't confuse "reduce forfeits" with "reduce the most forfeits", which is what you keep doing.
Shock the Monkey!
YoungBuck42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoungBuck42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 9:03pm

Wrestlinggeek,

The reason for me wanting to keep the 2 pound allowance is pretty simple. The PIAA wants to take away the 182 lb. weight class, which I have never had a problem filling in favor of the lightest weight classes. It is extremely difficult for me to find kids small enough to wrestle 106 at my school and that extra two pounds can be the difference between me filling 106 or forfeiting.  

This just screams to me that the change should've been between 106 and 113 to 110 lol. 
Five years on the grind really changes one's mind
Mctuna40 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by YoungBuck42 YoungBuck42 wrote:

Wrestlinggeek,

This just screams to me that the change should've been between 106 and 113 to 110 lol. 

No No monkey boy clearly has it correct... no need to discuss anymore or you will be told >You don’t understand< 
No need to have any debate or really any posts! We can all get the gospel according to M-Boy... 

Even though I agree with you YoungBuck, I capitulate to MB!  The truth is none of it matters the PIAA will do what it wants as a nameless faceless group. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic