FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throwback Sundays

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:07am
Great Valley's state finalist Drew Bycoskie had a high ceiling at the next level had he chosen that path imo. As you watch Kurt Angle's state finals hand fighting and positioning given to a good athlete can take her/him far. The athlete just has to withstand the punishment & give the punishment back when you receive the punishment.

If you're not afraid to get your face cut up and have a high pain tolerance the world's your oyster.

Edited by Berwyn - Yesterday at 10:42am
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:29am
Here's a pretty good bout between two fine D1 wrestlers:

Owen Hibbard was one of Conestoga's all-time greats.  
Dan Finacchio was an intregal part of North Penn's state championship team

Edited by oldcougar - Yesterday at 10:48am
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:43am
I must say OC I maybe bias saying it but that was the best region final I have ever witnessed.

Edited by Berwyn - Yesterday at 10:53am
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:14am
Those were two great wrestlers in their time. Hibberd had an unbelievable heart. In the D1 South finals one year, he was being anhiliated, must have been about 13-2, something like that, and he came back and won on points!  (The guy he beat will remain unnamed, but I've never let him forget it!)

I've only ever seen that happen two other times that I can remember. Strangely it involved the same two kids in back-to-back weeks at Youth tournaments - 8th graders. At the LYA tourney our kid was down by 12 in the 3rd period and came back and won on points. The next week at another tourney, same two kids met and exactly the same scenario. Our kid down by 12 or 13, and came back and won on points. The other coach must have been suicidal.

rayguy8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayguy8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:22am
Originally posted by oldcougar oldcougar wrote:

Those were two great wrestlers in their time. Hibberd had an unbelievable heart. In the D1 South finals one year, he was being anhiliated, must have been about 13-2, something like that, and he came back and won on points!  (The guy he beat will remain unnamed, but I've never let him forget it!)

I've only ever seen that happen two other times that I can remember. Strangely it involved the same two kids in back-to-back weeks at Youth tournaments - 8th graders. At the LYA tourney our kid was down by 12 in the 3rd period and came back and won on points. The next week at another tourney, same two kids met and exactly the same scenario. Our kid down by 12 or 13, and came back and won on points. The other coach must have been suicidal.

[DIV

I know who it was. One of your guys. If I remember right, GA was up 8-0 and lost to Owen in OT.
I am FINALLY in the Hall of Fame!!!!   Stabler is now in, next is Cliff Branch!!!!!
rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:25pm
That was a great one. But I’ll still take Conley, Pirrozolla as my favorite.
DelcoProper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DelcoProper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 1:35pm

Pretty sure that's D1 legend official Kenny Dawes....
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 2:45pm
Originally posted by rocky rocky wrote:

That was a great one. But I’ll still take Conley, Pirrozolla as my favorite.
I wasn't nameing Hibberd-Finacchio as my favorite, merely a very good bout. 

Another interesting topic of conversation would be: Great rivalries.
Yes, Conley-Pirrozolla was one of the best. But there have been many over the years that people could name. 

The first rivalry I was aware of (when I was in Jr Hi) was Bob Bessey (Lansdowne)/Joe Icenhower*(Upper Darby) and Chuck Ristine (Springfield). Bessey and Icenhower were District 1 champs at 112.  In my memory, though, Ristine always beat Bessey, Icenhower always beat Ristine, and Bessey always beat Icenhower. It was just one of those things.

Another great rivalry:  Mike Boykin vs Jordan Wood -- a couple of state champs who were always capable of beating each other.

and speaking of Pirozzola === didn't he wrestle Justin Giovinco once or twice?
Rick Rappo/Chris Sheetz --- two state champs head to head
I like Mike Moley vs the field. Find a state champ and he'd wrestle him.

* Joe Icenhower was Dave Icenhower's big brother. Dave was District 1 finalist, National Prep Champ, captain of Lehigh, and Hall of Fame coach at the College of New Jersey. 

Edited by oldcougar - Yesterday at 2:54pm
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 2:50pm
Another Runner up finish that was the best from the rest I think Springfield's Andre Petroski had enough to win it both his junior & senior years. Hershey in 2008 sophomore year looked liked he was already a seasoned veteran.

I remember at a Radnor Club practice in the 2000's I saw him crushing his opponents with a smile on his face. He seemed to always be having a terrific time at practice or competitions.The good old days back when my knee felt better. Both of my knees are shot from too many figure four leg locks & special tie hold variations. I took my cohort's cousins Momo & Little Man down there but it only lasted a couple practices. As the old saying goes you can lead a good horse to the river but you can't make the horse drink the water.

I was at a Conestoga dual with Springfield Andre's senior year 2010. He wrestled a state qualifier and pins him with the same move Thomas Haines pinned Methacton's Brandon Clark in 2011 state final. Standing suplex form of the same move with a twist misshapen variation.

Andre wrestled with a chip on his shoulder.

Andre ranks up there as one of the great D1 stories for me at least if only for the mere fact he looked like he was having a blast holding nothing back even in 10th while at Hershey. Something even a senior has a tough time doing just letting it fly so to speak.

Edited by Berwyn - Yesterday at 6:18pm
rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:17pm
Was referring to Berwyn... no big deal. Andre was fun to watch, Berwyn. I knew Pirozzola best Giovinco, but didn’t remember the year or score. 98 Beast 14=8. Mike was the OW
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:18pm
DP - that is indeed the legendary at least n his own mind Tongue Ken Daws

[/QUOTE=DelcoProper]

Pretty sure that's D1 legend official Kenny Dawes....
[/QUOTE]
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:31pm
OC - Pirozzola went up to 145 and beat Giovinco 14-8 in the finals of the Beast their senior year when both were defending state champs, winning Pirozzola the OW.  In that same Beast Steve Kovatch  of WCE beat Steve Itterly of Nazreth 8-4 in the 275 lb final.  Kovatch lost to Tony Milone of Council Rock in the Regional final and faced Itterly in the state semis.  Itterly returned the favor beating him 4-2.  Itterly then pinned Milone in the finalm having beaten him 3-1 n the Beast semis.
dicemen99 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicemen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 5:41pm
I will throw in a few that I remember from my youth:

Bobby Ortman, CR and Mark Turpyn, Maple Point- a couple of years and a lot of matches.  I can still see big Bob, Buddy and Mike jumping up and down behind the CR bench at a regular season dual I think.  Coach Stanley - what were you thinking?

Mike Donohue, CR and Harry Wilson, Langhorne - In 1978 I think they faced each other five times.  The dual I was with the Newtown JH team and we got to stay and watch the HS team wrestle - it must have been a Saturday.  I think Wilson may have won that one, but my memory is a bit foggy. Pretty sure Donohue won the other ones until the 3/4 match at states. I think they probably squared off a few times in the years before that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic