FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throwback Sundays

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throwback Sundays
    Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 3:54pm
Fans are estatic here for the Quakertown wrestler

Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2020 at 10:55am
Former St. Mark's Delaware wrestler & also foxcatcher junior program with a bunch of D1 guys got the job done here & made the Delaware Valley real proud. 

Edited by Berwyn - Dec 20 2020 at 11:13am
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 11:02am
Whenever we made it to MAWA's back in the 80's, Sheldon Thomas was always waiting there. He was a little beast. I can't remember him ever losing. No one was shocked that he won a national championship. 
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2020 at 9:50am
Pop Up Tuesday Throwback 
D1 all american vs D6 all american 
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2020 at 8:30am
Here is one of the more memorable state championships (at least for me):
This is just 103 - 140, but it has a couple of great bouts. (a kid I coached won that year at 145, so wasn't included in this video).
One of the best finals ever was  Brian Sticca(Greensburg Salem) vs Matt Ciasulli(Easton).  When the bout ended in OT, they got a standing ovation from the crowd. Ciasulli won it at 125.

The next bout at 130 featured Brian Baglio of Redland, who decked his opponent. 

Interesting factoid: California has had about 3 or 4 4x champions. In 2002, they had 1 4-timer, and one superstud who had won 3 times and seemed assured of a 4th (which he did win.)  At Reno in December 2001, California's big star was the featured performer. You think people troll today? The trolling going on about how CA's stud was going to hammer PA wrestlers was endlessly confrontational. It got so bad that themat.com changed its comment policy to stop it after that. In the finals, the CA kid faced Matt Ciasulli, who took him apart, winning a major or maybe a tech fall. Oh, the breast beating that went on! It was wonderful.

Then 3 months later, the CA kid was back at the Dapper Dan, having won 4 straight CA titles. This time he faced Brian Baglio, who decked him.  It was kinda Baglio's thing that year.  

California trollers were silenced kinda permanently.

Edited by oldcougar - Dec 24 2020 at 8:58am
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2020 at 12:57pm
and here is another important match -  Pirozzola(Neshaminy) v Conley(Downingtown) 
This is the 3rd bout between the two that year (1998) at 46:31 of this video. Unbelievable finish. 
Then check out Giovinco's (PlymouthWhitemarsh) bout to win his first state title.

Edited by oldcougar - Dec 24 2020 at 1:15pm
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2020 at 11:49am
Some guy is posting lots of old state finals. Here is one that we at D1 want to see---

Jermaine Jones winning his 2nd state title. More importantly, he won it with the Jonesy - his own move that became nationally popular. I remember that he won the semi-finals that year against Chad Sportelli of Easton with another Jonesy. He seemed to be in trouble, and suddenly he had 5 points. Awesome.

In this final he was wrestling Mark McKnight, a future state champ and Pan-Am Champ and currently a resident athlete at the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. 

Jones was the real deal. His senior year in HS was messed up by, I think, mono. But when he was right, he was the best. 

Flash quiz:  Anyone notice the one identical factor in the Pirozzola v Mark Conley match and the Jones v McKnight match? When both Conley(Downingtown) and Jones(WC Henderson) walked off the mat, they were hugged by their coach: Glen Koser.  Koser was imo, one of the top wrestlers in the history of D1 --- a beast that destroyed his opponents in a manner almost Kwortnik-like. His legs were brutal.  
The year Koser took over as coach at Henderson, I went to see the Springfield-Henderson dual in December. Jermaine Jones wrestled one of the Cougar's weakest kids and barely got a 4-2 win. Not a bit impressive. Three months later he ran roughshod over the PIAA state tournament. Koser had transformed Jones into a star.  I well remember watching Jones on Thursday night at states in 2000, not expecting much of anything from Jones. I called a friend that night and told him, 'It looks like Jones intends to win this thing!"  And he did.

Edited by oldcougar - Dec 25 2020 at 12:35pm
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2020 at 3:20pm
Thanks for the history OC. Best kind of Christmas present!
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2020 at 5:04pm
here's my favorite heavyweight bout of all time. I posted it a long time ago in two segments, but here it is in one segment:

SUUUUP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUUUUP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2020 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by oldcougar oldcougar wrote:

Some guy is posting lots of old state finals. Here is one that we at D1 want to see---

Jermaine Jones winning his 2nd state title. More importantly, he won it with the Jonesy - his own move that became nationally popular. I remember that he won the semi-finals that year against Chad Sportelli of Easton with another Jonesy. He seemed to be in trouble, and suddenly he had 5 points. Awesome.

In this final he was wrestling Mark McKnight, a future state champ and Pan-Am Champ and currently a resident athlete at the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. 

Jones was the real deal. His senior year in HS was messed up by, I think, mono. But when he was right, he was the best. 

Flash quiz:  Anyone notice the one identical factor in the Pirozzola v Mark Conley match and the Jones v McKnight match? When both Conley(Downingtown) and Jones(WC Henderson) walked off the mat, they were hugged by their coach: Glen Koser.  Koser was imo, one of the top wrestlers in the history of D1 --- a beast that destroyed his opponents in a manner almost Kwortnik-like. His legs were brutal.  
The year Koser took over as coach at Henderson, I went to see the Springfield-Henderson dual in December. Jermaine Jones wrestled one of the Cougar's weakest kids and barely got a 4-2 win. Not a bit impressive. Three months later he ran roughshod over the PIAA state tournament. Koser had transformed Jones into a star.  I well remember watching Jones on Thursday night at states in 2000, not expecting much of anything from Jones. I called a friend that night and told him, 'It looks like Jones intends to win this thing!"  And he did.

Old cougar.  Your post is spot on.  Expect Glenn with two n’s. 

He’s out of retirement. Little softer in his older age    He’s been  helping with a couple of National Prep kids lately   Think he’s hoping to claim in helping to make a champ   Would be cool  to add to his resume 
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2020 at 12:57am
I saw Mike & Mark wrestle live that year in Hershey. The place went bananas.
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2020 at 1:00am
Good story about California.

Edited by Berwyn - Dec 27 2020 at 1:10am
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2020 at 11:51am
OC - I happen to be officiating the state tournament that year.  John Hosage, as State Rules Interpreter and Head Official, always officiated a final in both AA and AAA (even though he didn't officiate another bout during the entire tournament).  He chose the HWT bout in AAA.  All the officials were sitting on the sideline watching this bout.  If you have a stopwatch handy keep track of the injury time that was awarded both wrestlers.  I believe injury time was still 2 minutes in 1988, but it seemed as if both wrestlers got about 4 minutes.  Still a great bout to watch to this day.

here's my favorite heavyweight bout of all time. I posted it a long time ago in two segments, but here it is in one segment:

NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2020 at 12:29pm
OC - Watching Giovinco's match again reminded me of how bad the officiating was in that bout.  Giovinco took him down twice in the 1st period and only got credit for 1 TD.  He took him down again in the 2nd PD and was given he TD.  Finally, the double stall call in the 3rd period is probably one of the worst calls ever made in Hershey, and that is saying a lot.  Giovinco managed to overcome it all for the win.

and here is another important match -  Pirozzola(Neshaminy) v Conley(Downingtown) 
This is the 3rd bout between the two that year (1998) at 46:31 of this video. Unbelievable finish. 
Then check out Giovinco's (PlymouthWhitemarsh) bout to win his first state title.

oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2020 at 1:34pm
I keep getting wrestling matches recommended to me, and quite a few are District 1 related.
Here is another really great bout, well worth your time.
It's the 1987 112 bout between Dan Finacchio (North Penn) and Joey Wildison (South Western). 
It's a significant bout if the only reason was that it's Wildison's only loss in 4 years of high school: 4x finalist, 3x champ. Finacchio was a frustratingly hot and cold wrestler whose talent was exceptional as is evidenced by several flurries in this bout. He was big into throws, and he opened himself up for getting caught from time to time. In the semi's, Wildison beat Owen Hibberd (Conestoga) 4-3, when Owen was injured. He had to forfeit out. Owen was a stud and Wildison hanging with him as a freshman impressed me.  D1 had 3 of the top 112 pounders in the state, with Chris Paul of Hatboro placing 3rd by winning 5 times in wrestlebacks. 
But the final between Finacchio and Wildison is an all-timer.   

and from the same year: Kwortnik. He needed to pin to push North Penn to a tie for the PIAA title.

Edited by oldcougar - Dec 27 2020 at 11:12pm
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2020 at 5:12pm
Memorable Monday Throwback 
The first match Norristown's first champ Steve Harner's celebration is worth a watch! Total attendance AAA AA about 30,000 almost 9,000 there that night. 

OC Dan gave the D1 fans back to back treats with his gut wrenching performances & North Penn a state title.

NCAARef the state final between Rickie Robbie 52 would have been a real tough one to score.  Reminiscent of tag team combination Ricky Robbie the rock and roll Express from pro wrestling. Future NCAA champ vs Ivy AA. Top ten all time final for D1 IMHO.

Edited by Berwyn - Dec 28 2020 at 8:01pm
Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by NCAARef NCAARef wrote:

OC - Watching Giovinco's match again reminded me of how bad the officiating was in that bout.  Giovinco took him down twice in the 1st period and only got credit for 1 TD.  He took him down again in the 2nd PD and was given he TD.  Finally, the double stall call in the 3rd period is probably one of the worst calls ever made in Hershey, and that is saying a lot.  Giovinco managed to overcome it all for the win.

"Finally, the double stall call in the 3rd period is probably one of the worst calls ever made in Hershey, and that is saying a lot. "

That's a bold statement that I'll have to disagree with. I'm not saying it wasn't a bad call but there are far worse!
Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Dodfan Dodfan wrote:

Originally posted by NCAARef NCAARef wrote:

"Finally, the double stall call in the 3rd period is probably one of the worst calls ever made in Hershey, and that is saying a lot. "

That's a bold statement that I'll have to disagree with. I'm not saying it wasn't a bad call but there are far worse!
One of the strangest stall calls ever made was Jeff Eckloff (Northampton) vs Brian Baglio (Red Land). The match went in to OT. When the ref blew the whistle to start the first OT period,  Eckloff just stood there, didn't move, made no contact. Baglio was confused and just stood there, too. Finally the ref called double stalling. Baglio had a stall call back in regulation, so Eckloff got a point and won the bout. I laughed for a week.
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2020 at 9:38am
Look Back Thursdays

Josh Henson no one ever talks about North Penn's 1992 state champ. Ed Klavon in my honest opinion best coach in district 1 history tied with Vic Stanley Glen Koser
& Brad Sil Tom UP & Nate MP. Josh goes from obscurity to PA wrestling gold. Ricky Springman and Josh Henson in the finals two words hunger & tenacity come to mind.

Edited by Berwyn - Dec 31 2020 at 12:48pm
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2020 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Berwyn Berwyn wrote:

Look Back Thursdays

Josh Henson no one ever talks about North Penn's 1992 state champ. Ed Klavon in my honest opinion best coach in district 1 history tied with Vic Stanley Glen Koser
& Brad Sil Tom UP & Nate MP. Josh goes from obscurity to PA wrestling gold. Ricky Springman and Josh Henson in the finals two words hunger & tenacity come to mind.

Your coaches pantheon is right on, but we might consider a few more names. Pete Bernadino led Upper Darby to 56 straight wins way back when. And those teams were good. Dick Shoemaker was a pioneer and very successful coach. The two were early inductees in the Hall of Fame. Actually each decade probably had it's own great coach worthy of some consideration. But Klavon, Silimperi, and Hontz and Stanley were the only ones whose teams won state titles.  

Edited by oldcougar - Jan 01 2021 at 3:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic