FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stats on forfeits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ancienthatteroldram View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2019 at 3:55pm
Brrr: What does it matter if pre-teen boys and girls have similar or even the same physical & psychological "abilities". The more important question is, do they have the same or even similar innate needs and characteristics, not simple abilities, that makes one male the other female. Do they in fact need different forms of nurturing, love and rearing?  Of course they have similar physical abilities, but not the same physical hardware and does that make a  difference no matter the age. Of course they have similar psychological abilities- both respond and are able to give love and affection, and yet both male and female pre-teens seem to manifest/express these emotions  quite differently. The one size fits all gender argument is spurious at best and seems to take as a given that "gender" until the magic age of 12 is simply a social construct.
All this yet begs the question of why our culture has decided that pushing our girls into sports is so imperative . Sports are after all a metaphor for combat and that surely has traditionally been a male domain. So why are we urging our girls into combat-derivate activities?

Might one dare to suggest, without being accused of being a misogynist , that perhaps most girls might be happier when raised into roles and activities that have traditionally given women a lot of pleasure and satisfaction(food, style, social activities, dance) ?

Needless to say, allowances must always be made for those "handful" of girls who genuinely do have athletic natures.

Edited by ancienthatteroldram - Jun 19 2019 at 4:29pm
Mctuna40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2019 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by oldcougar oldcougar wrote:

oldhatter: look at the bright side. If climate scientists are to be believed, most of us will be dead in 20 years anyway, so who's going to be around to mourn the demise of wrestling?

Girl's wrestling is no reflection on boy's wrestling, imho. Two seperate sports, just like lacrosse, basketball, tennis, etc.  If a boy feels his masculinity is being challanged by the existence of girl's wrestling, he has no masculinity to challange.

I'm in for whatever sane ideas are offered to improve wrestling's lot. Cutting half the weight classes sounds pretty drastic to me. Not just drastic, but self destructive. It will hurry along the end of our sport.

I watch a little freestyle, Berwyn. Just enough to know that I don't want it contaminating real wrestling.

True Wrestling lovers: download all the high school and college wrestling videos that you can. Back them up so they are easily retrievable. In the future you can dig them out in fond rememberance of when there was a great sport called folkstyle wrestling.

Haha and is we had listened to AlGore, we all would already be dead! So screw it we are living on house money now... I am going out back and burning a truckload of plastic and styrofoam
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2019 at 3:40pm
Mike: Have you had time to check if the 80-20 rule ( the Pareto principle) applies to ffs ? I'm in need of good news .
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2019 at 10:02am
Originally posted by ancienthatteroldram ancienthatteroldram wrote:

Mike: Have you had time to check if the 80-20 rule ( the Pareto principle) applies to ffs ? I'm in need of good news .

Still trying to look into a bunch of things... but for last season for PIAA teams at least, I have looked into this.  This is for all forfeits, not just the ones at any particular weight.

20% of all the forfeits came from 6.55% of the teams (31 out of 473).
50% of all the forfeits came from 21.15% of the teams (100 out of 473).
80% of all the forfeits came from 45.67% of the teams (216 out of 473).

Only 10 teams did not forfeit a single weight in their dual meets:
Armstrong (D7)
Bethlehem Liberty (D11)
East Stroudsburg South (D11)
Lampeter-Strasburg (D3)
Mount Lebanon (D7)
Nazareth (D11)
Northeast High (D12)
Pennsbury (D1)
Spring-Ford (D1)
Stroudsburg (D11)

When looking at just the 106 weight class for last season...

80% of the forfeits in duals at 106 came from 30.23% of the teams (143 out of 473).
20% of the forfeits in duals at 106 came from 5.07% of the teams (24 out of 473).

So the forfeits at 106 were certainly concentrated among a relatively small list of teams.

PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2019 at 9:29pm
Mike your analysis is reminiscent of the 80/20 Pereto principle doing less with more. Using Applied Regression Analysis was another favorite economics principle. I'm sure with a little logic using numbers it would most likely be appropriate to deduct 4 weight classes for HS wrestling to be at maximal effeciency.
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Berwyn Berwyn wrote:

Mike your analysis is reminiscent of the 80/20 Pereto principle doing less with more. Using Applied Regression Analysis was another favorite economics principle. I'm sure with a little logic using numbers it would most likely be appropriate to deduct 4 weight classes for HS wrestling to be at maximal effeciency.

While I am in favor of cutting a weight class or two in the near future, cutting 4 weights is way too many.  I don't see any reason to go that far.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 1:18pm
BRRR: The Pareto Principle (also known as the 80/20 rule and/or the principle of factor sparsity ) would state that 80% of effects- in this case ff's- are caused by 20% of the causes( schools involved) The sparsity-of-effects principle would state that only a few main factors effect a system.

I'm always eager to be schooled and would like to know how the 80/20 rule relates to "doing less with more." And what type of applied regression analysis- linear or non-linear, plus a smidgen of logic,- would one employ to conclude that deducting 4 weight classes assures maximal wrestling efficiency ??
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 2:13pm
Great question. I'm surprised nobody corrected me for my misspelling of Pareto. Let me put my thinking cap on & ruminate over it.

Edited by Berwyn - Jun 24 2019 at 2:22pm
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 4:22pm
BRRRRR:  The fact is, my question was not a "great" question; it was in fact and in purpose rhetorical!! It requires, nor expects an answer.

I am not in the least bit interested in creating a wrestling culture of """"maximal effeciency""" at the expense of gutting the weight classes. Nor am I much concerned, nor surprised , that nobody mentioned your misspelling of Pareto AND EFFECIENCY. Nobody cares
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 7:47pm
My bad spell check was off. I'll consternate on it & throw my two cents in on reasons to eliminate at least 2 classes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic