FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some state observations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some state observations
    Posted: Mar 10 2022 at 9:45pm

McFarland took it to Sirianni of Abington Heights from the start. Sirianni had just one loss, to Desmond of course, so he was a tough wrestler. There was a lot of funk going on, but McFarland seemed to be in control of those situations. He had a two-point lead in the 3rd period, when he hit a Jonesy and put it out of reach. It was great. I’m pretty sure I saw the first Jonesy thrown at states, in the semi-finals. Here’s this skinny kid from Henderson against just another Easton stud. Easton shoots, grabs a leg, and suddenly he’s on his back. The stands went nuts. It was 5-0 and game over.

I really felt bad for that Machado from Delaware Valley. He got put into a Sement mixer. He looked so relieved when the match was finally over, and he was able to stagger off the mat.

Reitter of CRS and his Hempfield opponent seemed to spend the whole match in the same position. Somewhere along the way, Reitter was awarded two points and won. The bad news: he faces Willochell next. That kid is excellent.

Did the Jet pick Prinzi to top the bill? Whoops!! And Condomitti? Say it isn’t so.

Laventure looked like a matador our there, sidestepping these bull rushes, with his opponent running 5-10 feet off the mat before his rush ended. And when Laventure wanted a takedown, he got a takedown. He looked good.

Just a personal aside to establish how old I really am:    

113 pound Round of 16 match between Tocci of Warwick and a CanonMac kid:  CM sits out and stays there. Tocci hangs behind, trying to snap back. The CM kid was in the sitout position for a long time. It looked like one of my Jr Hi matches, literally. That’s the way lots of Jr Hi kids wrestled back then. After a brief flurry, the CM kids sat out again. This time Tocci scooted to the side and pancaked for the fall. I stood up and cheered! That was my trick. I used it several times in meets when I was in 8th grade in 1961. Some things never change.

Edited by oldcougar - Mar 10 2022 at 10:00pm
bennythejetrodriguez View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bennythejetrodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 7:20am
The Jet is willing to admit when he's wrong.  No one is as good at admitting when's he's wrong as the Jet.  Van Dee has a toughness that you could see was the difference in a close match.  The Jet found himself rooting for Van Dee, especially after Frinzi took a weak injury timeout to get a fresh start in the rideout.  Still, it was baffling that Frinzi took bottom in the UTB; he probably wins if he takes top.  If given the chance to revise, the Jet would have Shindledecker over Van Dee in the final.

Condomitti came out strong in his match and then faded hard.  It's also possible that Griffin Gonzalez is better than his 4th place regional finish might suggest, considering he also beat a really tough Nico Taddy in the prelims.

The Jet underestimated Cole McFarland.  His scrambling game gives him a chance against anybody.  Maybe next time the Jet will estimate McFarland.

Edited by bennythejetrodriguez - Mar 11 2022 at 7:34am
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 9:16am
Botero opens with a Jonesy.  5-0 to start and he was just getting going. Tore the poor Bald Eagle kid to shreds and then pinned him.
He's all that.

Don't blame the Jet. Condomitti screwed up my contest entries as well. And McFarland? He opened more eyes than the Jets. Most prognosticators picked Sirianni for 2nd behind Desmond. But McFarland just outwrestled him. No luck involved.

Edited by oldcougar - Mar 11 2022 at 9:18am
Crotch Lock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crotch Lock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 9:31am
Also would like to mention chase Barlow winning by injury default. Was beating the number four kid in the state 11-0 with 1:17 left in the third. Well on his way to a tech fall over the number four kid in the state. Expecting big things from him.
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 10:21am
Alderfer the 2nd FCA kid to make the semis.  He wrestled a Chestnut Ridge kid who didn't make one offensive move throughout the entire bout. He wrestled the first two periods on the edge of the mat, going OOB whenever Alderfer threatened to take him down, which was often. Only one stall call the entire time, and at an inappropriate time as well. Finally hit with a stalling point with about 30 seconds to go. Not complaining much. Most of the refereeing has been just fine. 
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 12:13pm
1 correction. McFarland used a roll thru Churella not a jonsey. Had to watch it several times to see what he did. Very slick. District 1 106 has all 5 still wrestling. 3 in the quarters. Impressive from the younger men
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 2:49pm
In the qtrs, Sean Logue flat ran out of gas. He looked like he had the match in hand, getting a quick takedown and riding out the first. But Logue was ridden in the 2nd. And by the end of the period he was wasted. He tried the old 'take off your headgear and have trouble re-snapping it' ploy to start the 3rd, and you could see the ref was getting impatient. From standing, they got into what probably should have become a standard funk shootout. But it looked like Logue just didn't have the energy. He went right to his back and was decked. Yikes.

Yikes and Yuuuch!  One of those Williams twins won his match against McIntyre of BECA and immediately barfed right in the center of the mat.  Wouldn't want to be next on deck.

Down 4-2 going into the 3rd period, someone made a BIG mistake by telling Heard of Abington Heights to take bottom. What were the coaches thinking? At the end, Findora won  7-2 and it was not that close. The kid was helpless. Seriously, when he took bottom I said, "Is that kid nuts??"

Babb just toughed out a win against the Octorara kid in the quarters. It occurred to me that Octorara used to be a D1 team that moved to D3, while Boyertown used to be a D3 team that moved to D1. Just an odd factoid. 

Collins just won 10-2 over a kid from East Stroudsburg North. Central Bucks East had a big "E" on his uniform. East Stroudsburg North had a big "N" on theirs. Kinda confusing. 

D'Agostino is a takedown machine. He looks like a college wrestler already. He won today 16-7 over the Clearfield kid. Eight takedowns. 'nuff said.

Colajezzi just lost to Kesler in a good match. It was decided when Colojezzi looked to be executing the winning takedown. On the way down to the mat, Kesler made an absolutely beautiful counter and got the td. Colajezzi wrestled great. Kesler was a bit better.

Barlow just won a terrific bout over Muth from BECA, 4-3. The last 30 or 40 seconds were nuts, with Muth trying to escape and Barlow somehow ending up on top of every scramble. It was classic.

Laventure just lost a 1-0 match where there was very little offense from either wrestler. DiGiorgio just lost an 8-7 bout to Weightman of Belle Vernon. 

Edited by oldcougar - Mar 11 2022 at 4:32pm
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 4:58pm
Gaj lost to BECAs Rath, 4-1. It was a strange bout. The first period saw an amazing scramble. Gaj must have had the takedown about 4 times, only for Rath to scramble out at the last second, Gaj following with another near td, and Rath scrambling out. The whole sequence was one continuous scramble between two stellar freshmen. Finally it was Rath who got the takedown that led to the win. 
Mafia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 5:29pm
No one gonna talk about Bechtold from OJR? Two wins in the last 30 seconds, and is now in the semis. He has a bright future.
Ron Obvious View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Obvious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Mafia Mafia wrote:

No one gonna talk about Bechtold from OJR? Two wins in the last 30 seconds, and is now in the semis. He has a bright future.

I saw the end of last nights match. He was down 3-1, got a TD and 2 back points with about 3 seconds left to win 5-3.

I didn’t see todays match, but I know he came from 5-0 down in the third to win 8-6 in SV. The other guy ran out of gas gave up a bunch of stalling points. Bechtold has a motor and doesn’t stop.

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Joe96 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 6:47pm
Damn that’s rough for Logue, although he did rebound to get a Major to secure his 2nd state medal. 
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 7:26pm
15 medals is a very poor showing, no medal in 4 weight classes and 16 losses in the blood round.
Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by NCAARef NCAARef wrote:

15 medals is a very poor showing, no medal in 4 weight classes and 16 losses in the blood round.

Que the complaints from the WPIAL about state qualifier allocations.
Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
2takedowngreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2takedowngreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 7:59pm
Rightfully so. I've always thought the region with the most returning medalists should get the extra qualifier. Now that there are 20 qualifiers, start every region with 4. Most returning medalists gets 5 the next year, least returning medalists gets 3.

Having the most schools shouldn't get you the most qualifiers. 
rechall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rechall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by NCAARef NCAARef wrote:

Think your count was 1 off for AAA. I come up with 16 medals. Add in 4 medals in AA for Faith Christian. Yes, unfortunately not our best showing. 
C Mart View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Mart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2022 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Mafia Mafia wrote:

His match with Wehler  was very good, kept pushing the pace throughout.    Good bit of blood time there.   I also thought the ref did a great job in that match in his scoring.....  
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 9:21am
Sement wrestled well in the Consi Round of 4, a well-controlled bout made him the second D1 kid to knock off Sirianni of Abington Heights.
The Williams twins are in trouble. The returning state champ got beat in the semis. The other is in a shootout with Kilkeary. Looks like Williams will run out of gas before Kilkeary does.  But Williams threw a honey of a lateral drop for 4 points. Williams is pulling the "headgear" ploy, but the ref told him to cut it out.  Just as suspected, Williams bagged the 3rd.

Gaj won, guaranteeing a top 5 finish. The number of truly exceptional freshmen at states is extraordinary, Gaj is only one of them.  

BECA kids show a ridiculous ability to scramble. Yesterday it happened again and again. Just saw Manville of State College get 95% of a takedown on Kasak. Unfortunately with BECA, 95% is a failing grade.
Kasak extracted himself at the last second for no points, again. Manville decks Kasak in the 3rd!

Edited by oldcougar - Mar 12 2022 at 9:50am
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 9:56am
Findora goes down 3-1 against the kid from Hempfield. Babb in trouble against Solomon, currently down 14-4.  Colajezzi handled Fairchild of Nazareth 4 zip without too much trouble. He took over in the 2nd period and wasn't challenged.   Lledo lost a bit of a barn burner, 6-3. 

Disaster!  Barlow was up 3-0 over Central Dauphin in the 3rd when he got caught in a very casual headlock and was decked. Just bad.

D'Agostino into the finals! A great semi that went down to the wire, 5-4. Dom got a late 3rd period takedown to get the 2 point lead, was called for stalling with about 30 seconds left, so let the kid up and tried to avoid another stalling call and avoid being taken down. No problem with the first, but inches away from the second as the match ended. Neat.

Collins had a relatively easy time with Miller of Exeter in the semis, 3-0. He was never in danger and essentially dominated the action. So two D1 kids to the finals. Shoulda been more.

Edited by oldcougar - Mar 12 2022 at 10:34am
Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 10:32am
There have been some bad calls at states over the years. Many of them have went against D1 wrestlers. D1 just got one back. Tucker Hogan just had a real tough no call go against him.
Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2022 at 10:35am
Yeah, that was close. I questioned the call so loudly that my wife came to look. Still, I'll give it to the ref that is was the right call, considering the participants.

Wow, Sasso taking it to Stoudt. Early on, Stoudt was up by 3 points. But Sasso appears to have a bigger gas tank. Sasso wins 9-6.

Edited by oldcougar - Mar 12 2022 at 10:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic