FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Season preview

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Season preview
    Posted: Nov 29 2021 at 8:13pm
So as mentioned in another thread, we will be creating some videos for our District 1 Season Preview... much like we did 2 years ago.  We don't have the schedule finalized yet for when the videos will be out but they should be out either right before the season starts or just after the first weekend of competition.

We want to know YOUR thoughts!
  • Who do you think are the top 5 teams in D1 this season?
  • Who do you think are some of the top incoming freshmen in D1?
  • Which wrestlers do you think have the best chance at state medals this season?
  • Which D1 schools will be the next to officially create girls wrestling teams?
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
idontknow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idontknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2021 at 8:26am
Thanks Mike:

Who are 5 best teams: AAA
1: Council Rock South
2: Quakertown
3: Garnet Valley
4: Owen J Roberts
5: West Chester Henderson

Top Incoming Freshmen:
1: Sugalski (FCA)
2: Botero (FAC)
3: Stein (FAC)
4: Colin Gaj (QK)
5: Tyler Conroy (West Chester) not sure if frosh
6: Chris Dennis (Central Bucks) not sure if Frosh

State Medals Best Chance:
Dom Findora (DW)
Carl DiGiorgio (CBW)
Matt Colajezzi (CRS)
Mason Ziegler (QK)
Tony Burke (CRS)
Lucas Doyle (CRS)
Dom D'Agostino (IB)
Julien Laventure (UD)
Chase Barlow (SH)
Quinn Collins (CBE)
Nate Shippey (IB)
Will Morrow (NP)
Chance Babb (BT)
Cole Smith (SF)

Girls teams:
Horsham
Pottstown
OJR
Kennet

But what do I know
cooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2021 at 10:01am
Thanks Mike:

Who are 5 best teams: AAA
1: Garnett Valley
2: Council Rock South
3: Quakertown
4: Owen J Roberts
5: West Chester Henderson

Top Incoming Freshmen:
1: Sugalski 
2: Botero Faith
3: Stein Faith
4: Colin Gaj Qtown

State Medals Best Chance:
Dom Findora (DW)
Carl DiGiorgio (CBW)
Matt Colajezzi (CRS)
Mason Ziegler (Qtown)
Tony Burke (CRS)
Lucas Doyle (CRS)
Dom D'Agostino (IB)
Julien Laventure (UD)
Chase Barlow (SH)
Todd McGann (Qtown)
Quinn Collins (CBE)
Nate Shippey (IB)
Will Morrow (NP)
Chance Babb (BT)
Cole Smith (SF)
Colin Gaj (Qtown)
Zach Borzio (Qtown)
Matthew Ricci (GV)

Girls teams:
TBD
T.Mongillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote T.Mongillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2021 at 7:58am
No girls team for H-H this season... they've all graduated. I have 4 female wrestlers at our middle school, so in time we will have a girls team (hopefully sanctioned too!)
Excelsior! Always, in all ways.
Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2021 at 4:01pm

Two lists of best chances to win state medals and no mention of B. Sadriddinov?

My opinion is B. Sadriddinov will place top five. I think he's possibly the best wrestler in District 1 right now.

Colin Gaj should be #1 of the best incoming freshman. I encourage you to watch some of his videos. He's rarely scored on and an absolute hammer from the top position. Gaj could medal this year if the brackets fall right for him. I think he'll be a state champ before his career is over.

Cooter, I'm interested to here how Garnet Valley is a better team than CRS.
Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2021 at 10:58am
Good points DoD.  I think Botero will also be a state medalist.  Faith Christian will have a bunch of wrestlers to keep an eye on on the AA level.

Originally posted by Dodfan Dodfan wrote:

My opinion is B. Sadriddinov will place top five. I think he's possibly the best wrestler in District 1 right now.

Colin Gaj should be #1 of the best incoming freshman. I encourage you to watch some of his videos. He's rarely scored on and an absolute hammer from the top position. Gaj could medal this year if the brackets fall right for him. I think he'll be a state champ before his career is over.

dicemen99 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicemen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2021 at 5:43pm

Likely because he didn't qualify last year as a freshman in a very tough D1 weight.  Drops an opening match to a red-hot D'Agostino and then loses in OT to a very tough SR in Needles, which was I thought would be a touch matchup for Bek at his age - he's not a holdback.

He's right there - in the offseason he obviously kicked some butt in freestyle, but in the fall he showed that he's jumped levels in "competitiveness" - which was probably what he needed more of as a frosh.  Just probably needs that big win in a visible tourney to break through - I'd expect it will be early given the CRS schedule.

As always, you can't tell until the season, but from some of the offseason events I've been to, I'm pretty sure that CRS and Quakertown will be extremely tough.  Garnet Valley looks good from returnees.  WCH is now a program that you can expect to be up there every year.  Same with Boyertown - they will be a very tough out as a dual team.  And OJR is coming back strong.  If I had to guess, I'd go with CRS and Quakertown - both have multiple newcomers that will make an impact, then the other four in some order and then there are a few other teams which could threaten for top five.

Edited by dicemen99 - Dec 02 2021 at 10:16pm
Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2021 at 7:58pm
My early picks for state medals (AAA only)

M. Colajezzi - 2nd or 3rd. I can't see him beating Rocco Welsh or Jared Keslar. He'll probably have a semi or quarter against Chase Kranitz which could go either way

B. Sadriddinov, Chase Barlow and Dom D'Agostino - Top six at 160 or 172. I just read that incoming freshman Vaughn Spencer (that would be the favorite against all three) is out for the year. Also these three will be underdogs against Welsh, Keslar or Kranitz.

Lucas Doyle, Quinn Collins and Carl DiGiorgio I think will do well at 215. Both should place somewhere. This year at 285 in AAA is loaded but not 215. Cole Weightman should walk away with the title at 215, if healthy. I couldn't even tell you the 2nd best 215 in AAA right now.

Speaking of 285, Julien Laventure and Fred Retter are both solid. Almost any other year, I would bet they would medal. This year AAA 285 boasts, Sean Kinney, Billy McChesney, Matt Cruise, Oliver Billotte, Charlie Crews, Ty Banco, Layton Schmick, Noah Tustin, Joe Enick and others. I do think Leventure will place somewhere.

Mason Ziegler - Top six if he goes 120. Incoming freshman Dalton Perry has to be the favorite to win states at either 120 or 126. Jacaruso, Hohman, MacIntyre and one of the twins from Manhiem Township.

Nate Shipey and Dom Findora, should both place somewhere in the 126 or 132 weight class. I eager to see who ends up at these weights state wide. Could be interesting.

William Morrow should place somewhere at either 145 or 152. One of my dark horse picks to win states in in that area, Dylan Evans.

A couple of years ago, there was a weight class in AA with three state champs. Watch out for this, 138 AAA could have, Finn Solomon, Briar Priest, Mac Church and Tyler Kasak. All returning state champs!
dicemen99 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicemen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2021 at 10:14pm

My early picks for state medals (AAA only)

M. Colajezzi - 2nd or 3rd. I can't see him beating Rocco Welsh or Jared Keslar. He'll probably have a semi or quarter against Chase Kranitz which could go either way

B. Sadriddinov, Chase Barlow and Dom D'Agostino - Top six at 160 or 172. I just read that incoming freshman Vaughn Spencer (that would be the favorite against all three) is out for the year. Also these three will be underdogs against Welsh, Keslar or Kranitz.

Lucas Doyle, Quinn Collins and Carl DiGiorgio I think will do well at 215. Both should place somewhere. This year at 285 in AAA is loaded but not 215. Cole Weightman should walk away with the title at 215, if healthy. I couldn't even tell you the 2nd best 215 in AAA right now.

Speaking of 285, Julien Laventure and Fred Retter are both solid. Almost any other year, I would bet they would medal. This year AAA 285 boasts, Sean Kinney, Billy McChesney, Matt Cruise, Oliver Billotte, Charlie Crews, Ty Banco, Layton Schmick, Noah Tustin, Joe Enick and others. I do think Leventure will place somewhere.

Mason Ziegler - Top six if he goes 120. Incoming freshman Dalton Perry has to be the favorite to win states at either 120 or 126. Jacaruso, Hohman, MacIntyre and one of the twins from Manhiem Township.

Nate Shipey and Dom Findora, should both place somewhere in the 126 or 132 weight class. I eager to see who ends up at these weights state wide. Could be interesting.

William Morrow should place somewhere at either 145 or 152. One of my dark horse picks to win states in in that area, Dylan Evans.

A couple of years ago, there was a weight class in AA with three state champs. Watch out for this, 138 AAA could have, Finn Solomon, Briar Priest, Mac Church and Tyler Kasak. All returning state champs!

Pretty sure you will see Bek at 152 for postseason.  Duals 152 and 160.  He's been wrestling up all offseason and last season, with Covid, he was up a weight like most of CRS.
Triple H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2021 at 1:05pm
Dice - Can we get a CRS/Quakertown prediction??
cooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2021 at 2:01pm
CRS did not lose many kids if any from last year.
Qtown lost a few.  But I think it will be a respectful showing.
CRS wins by slim margin.

Qtown wins 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, Hwt  Pins at 120 ,126, 132, 138, HWT
CRS wins 106, 113, 152, 160, 170, 185, 215 Pins at 106, 113, 152, 160, 185, 215
Qtown dec at 145
CRS Dec at 170.

CRS 39 Qtown 33

MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 1:20pm
Thanks to everyone who posted so far... good stuff!

I don't have specific dates yet for our preview videos but we should be releasing them the week of December 13-17... so the week after the first weekend of competition.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
dicemen99 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicemen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Triple H Triple H wrote:

Dice - Can we get a CRS/Quakertown prediction??

I don't see Quakertowns full roster certed yet on track. Maybe after that I could do one on paper but obviously the dual will play out differently.  

I don't see what Cooter is seeing at all unless some Qtown weights are far different than what im thinking.  Ziegler is a big favorite where ever he wrestles, Reitter a favorite at 285 - although if CRS is fully healthy they could consider bumping Doyle up. And 120 for Qtown. Beyond that Gaj, but he could be in for a tough battle depending on where he is. McGann and Borzio are in very tough matchups unless I'm way off on their weights. Lachman - depends on who wins the toss probably.

If I have to make a prediction I think the first match will be very close - CRS won't have Woloshyn for sure then. In January/Feb I think CRS is going to be a handful once they have their lineup set and IF they are healthy. For most teams in the state.
lbdoinit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lbdoinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 4:01pm
Looking for kids that haven't been mentioned:

If Kakos is back, I was impressed with his State showing, he may medal again.

Lledo, if he improves like his brother, is another medal contender.

Stein (CBE) maybe.

Reitter from CRS had to bump up for the post season, but depending on where he fits in the lineup this year, I'd consider him a darkhorse.

Coffin, Pennridge looked very talented

Hershey, OX, impresses me every year.

Cold iron shackles, ball and chain. Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train.
Crapolla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crapolla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 9:16am
What do you think the Roster is going to be for CRS? (weights)

idontknow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idontknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 10:35am
Ibdoinit, You are right on Kakos, he should be listed as a chance to medal depending on what weight he goes. I am assuming 138 but an oversite for sure.

Dodfan, I am not sure how B. Sadriddinov is the best wrestler in D1. He had a solid freshman year and I expect he will make states. I would have Findora, Colojezzi and D'Agostino (who won 11-6 last year) ahead of him in any P4P ranking, if not others.

As far as GV being better right now than CRS or QK, I just don't see it cooter. Can you explain how?

I do have a few guys that I am excited to see compete this year and expect that they might surprise some people: (no particular order)
1) S. Sadriddinov (CRS) is coming into his Sr. Season and I expect he will make states) Not sure if he will medal but he could do very well in D1.
2) B. Horvath (DE) could be a state medalist as a Jr this year. I am interested in seeing what weight he goes following football, but I assume if he goes 160 or 172 he will be top 3 in D1, maybe #1?
3) G. Sheridan (BT) should be able to put together a nice season and qualify for states. A Medal at 120 would be tough but if he can stay down at 113 he might be able to get it.
4) P. Delaney (WCH) looks pretty solid entering the season. He will be a hard out at the D1 tourney and I think he could do well at states with a win or 2.
5) M. Englehardt (OJR) is bouncing back from a significant injury last year sustained in Districts. A nice win over B. Wilson at the Surge makes me think he is healthy and he could do really well at the 132 or 126 weight class in D1.
6) C. Hershey (OX) is a 2 time state qual that we don't talk much about. If he keeps his weight in the 120 range, like last year, he could end up on the podium in Hershey.
7) C. Wood (GV) is overlooked a lot. He is a 3x regional qualifier and he could make his fourth regional appearance end with a trip to Hershey. Excited to see him wrestle this weekend in Boyertown.
8) M. Stein (CBE) was a quiet state qualifier last year. He had some great wins and a few good losses as well. He has a chance to break 100 wins this season and a trip to Hershey would almost ensure that he does.
But what do I know
nateheckenberger View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nateheckenberger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by idontknow idontknow wrote:

2) B. Horvath (DE) could be a state medalist as a Jr this year. I am interested in seeing what weight he goes following football, but I assume if he goes 160 or 172 he will be top 3 in D1, maybe #1?

As of right now, Horvath is not wrestling. He had nearly 300 carries as a running back, this fall, and his best sport is lacrosse, so it looks like wrestling is the odd man out.
www.nateheckenbergerphoto.com
Low Single View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 1:49pm
I know this is not D1 but it is local.  Burns (SO 220) from LaSalle has transferred to Conwell Eagan, so I heard.
Low Single View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 2:51pm
I tried to copy the rankings AAA rankings but it didn't work out.  
3 Teams from D1 Ranked in the top 25 on PA Power

18 CRS
19 Quakertown
23 WCH  

1 Waynesburg
2 BECA
3 Nazareth
4 Central Mountain
5 Canon-McMillan
Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Low Single Low Single wrote:

I tried to copy the rankings AAA rankings but it didn't work out.  
3 Teams from D1 Ranked in the top 25 on PA Power

18 CRS
19 Quakertown
23 WCH  

1 Waynesburg
2 BECA
3 Nazareth
4 Central Mountain
5 Canon-McMillan

Absolutely outrageous! I'm wondering if whoever ranked this looked at certs before putting this out.

Waynesburg, BECA and Nazereth will be #1-3. That's a given. I would give BECA an edge over Waynesburg and Waynesburg an edge over Nazareth.

Central Mountain is probably a top 10 team. Their freshman, Perry, probably wins states this year. I don't think Central Mountain beats CRS or Quakertown in a dual meet.

Canon Mac might be the fourth best team in D7. Their not going to beat Connellsville or Greater Latrobe, IMO. I think Connellsville is probably the fourth best team in AAA statewide.

CRS is certainly a top 10 team in AAA. Quakertown probably top 10 also. Who exactly are the 17 teams in AAA better that CRS (outside those top five). I assume it would be Connellsville and Greater Latrobe. Williamsport (?), Northampton (?), Trinity (d7)(?) possibly. I hope no one from D3.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic