FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PPL Duals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
maxtan86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxtan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PPL Duals
    Posted: Jan 16 2019 at 9:30am
Belmont/Frankford today. Winner goes to MLK tomorrow. Winner of that goes to Central next week for semis.

Lincoln/GW today. Winner goes to Overbrook tomorrow. Winner of that goes to Northeast for semis.

Semis next Wednesday. Finals next Friday.

Fun fact - there was a 3 way tie between Frankford, Franklintowne, and West Philly. Because of that the playoff spot was awarded by point differential. 
Max Tanenbaum
Belmont Charter High School
max.tanenbaum@belmontcharternetwork.org
bswift View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bswift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2019 at 11:03am
They should switch the PPL back to two divisions.
maxtan86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxtan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2019 at 11:20am
Originally posted by bswift bswift wrote:

They should switch the PPL back to two divisions.

I go back and forth on that....

2 divisions means more league matches and one less tournament.

League matches are great in theory but not so much for teams with full lineups going against teams with a lot of forfeits. The kids have to make weight for nothing, and its one less day on the mat drilling, getting better.
Max Tanenbaum
CHSwrestling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHSwrestling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2019 at 11:53am
What's your thought on going back to two divisions?

JJ
castelli3017 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelli3017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2019 at 11:56am
Max hit the nail on the head as why not to go back to two divisions.
CHSwrestling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHSwrestling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2019 at 12:00pm
I agree that more league matches that aren't competitive are not a good use of a day. 

JJ
maxtan86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxtan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2019 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by CHSwrestling CHSwrestling wrote:

What's your thought on going back to two divisions?

JJ

I would support it if and when there are at least 6 teams with full lineups.  I think we're close but not there yet. 1-2 forfeits isn't the end of the world, but more than that doesn't make for a great dual.
Max Tanenbaum
rmschloss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmschloss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2019 at 12:23pm
I was thinking about this last night.  I think that we should go back to two divisions.  There should be 6 teams in the 'A' division and 8 teams in the 'B' division.  The top 4 teams from 'A' and top 4 from 'B' would make the playoffs.  Time permitting, bigger playoffs means more matches without sacrificing competition points.  I also think there should be some consolidation of teams but that is for another thread...
Robert Schloss
maxtan86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxtan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2019 at 11:07am
Quarterfinals Today:

Belmont @ MLK

GW @ Overbrook

semis and finals next Wed/Friday

Edited by maxtan86 - Jan 17 2019 at 11:53am
Max Tanenbaum
bswift View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bswift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2019 at 11:51am
Max,

I think its GW vs Overbrook today.  GW beat Lincoln yesterday.

Swift
maxtan86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxtan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2019 at 11:52am
Originally posted by bswift bswift wrote:

Max,

I think its GW vs Overbrook today.  GW beat Lincoln yesterday.

Swift

You are correct Brian. I just edited my comment.
Max Tanenbaum
bswift View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bswift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2019 at 1:46pm
Congrats on Belmont's success.  You guys look good.
Barman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2019 at 12:19pm
Give Belmont a year or two and they could be good
maxtan86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxtan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2019 at 12:21pm
Thanks Barman and Swift. We are preparing for Central in the semis and so are trying to be that good team this year. 

But I agree - we are only 9th/10th graders now and we have some young hammers coming up from the middle school next year.
Max Tanenbaum
Barman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2019 at 11:15am
Even though they lost, congrats to Belmont. They were in that match vs Central and could have won with a few matches going their way. Not too bad for a team of freshman and sophomores. They’ll be more comeptive next year and definitely the year after.
Otherwise, the annual tradition of central vs northeast should be another good one.
maxtan86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxtan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 6:25am
Good luck to the PPL teams at district duals! I would like to see one make it through this year.
Max Tanenbaum
ChunkyMamma View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChunkyMamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2019 at 10:34am
A little bird tweeted to me that the PPL will likely be reverting back to 2 divisions next year.

A:
NE, Central, Belmont, King, FTC,  GW, Frankford/Overbrook (birdie was not sure)

B:
West P, South P, MBA, Lincoln, Olney, Palumbo, FKD/Overbrook (again, forgetful birdie)

PIAA officials apparently have not been pleased seeing some teams only wrestling a few duals. By moving to 2 divisions this guarantees 6 duals per season. Enterprising coaches can still fit 5 tournaments in to that schedule.
Fat mammas make fat babies
maxtan86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxtan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2019 at 10:46am
Originally posted by ChunkyMamma ChunkyMamma wrote:

A little bird tweeted to me that the PPL will likely be reverting back to 2 divisions next year.

A:
NE, Central, Belmont, King, FTC,  GW, Frankford/Overbrook (birdie was not sure)

B:
West P, South P, MBA, Lincoln, Olney, Palumbo, FKD/Overbrook (again, forgetful birdie)

PIAA officials apparently have not been pleased seeing some teams only wrestling a few duals. By moving to 2 divisions this guarantees 6 duals per season. Enterprising coaches can still fit 5 tournaments in to that schedule.

Upside - the less active teams are mandated more events and avoid the wrath of PIAA, whose recourse would be to make the PPL one big division and make everyone wrestle everyone leaving very little room for outside competition.

Downside - a few more duals against teams with partial lineups (meaningless weigh ins, less practices) and possibly one less tournament.

I think it is a good trade off. 
Max Tanenbaum
castelli3017 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelli3017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2019 at 11:49am
Max,

I hear you but its almost criminal what the coaches of these "less active" teams are doing. This can all be avoided if we are able to place a rule that a team must use X amount of its PIAA competition points or they are not eligible for the individual post season. I personally think a team should use up all its points but I know thats not gonna happen. 

In the long run we have to replace these bum coaches in the pub that only wrestle their league duals and nothing else. But we all know that isn't going to happen
maxtan86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxtan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2019 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by castelli3017 castelli3017 wrote:

Max,

I hear you but its almost criminal what the coaches of these "less active" teams are doing. This can all be avoided if we are able to place a rule that a team must use X amount of its PIAA competition points or they are not eligible for the individual post season. I personally think a team should use up all its points but I know thats not gonna happen. 

In the long run we have to replace these bum coaches in the pub that only wrestle their league duals and nothing else. But we all know that isn't going to happen

I wouldn't describe it as criminal, just less experienced. These are the newer coaches in the league. All of the "old heads" put together a full or nearly full schedule. 

I agree that we need better coaching in the league. As experience increases this will get better. Reducing coaching turnover is a big part of it.

Beat The Streets is willing and able to provide resources for non-league competition. I'm not sure that all of the newer coaches are fully connected to BTS and know how to navigate their process of securing that support.
Max Tanenbaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic