FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Name Image and Likeness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KC1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Name Image and Likeness
    Posted: Sep 21 2022 at 8:11pm
It looks like it will be coming to PA high schools next year.  New Jersey just allowed it with some restrictions and I've read that PA's will mirror NJs.  

So I would love to read thoughts on how this might change the competitive landscape if at all.   For instance, is it an equalizer in the public vs private debate? or does it make it worse?

Obviously this will only likely affect prominent athletes - but does it extend to wrestlers?  Young guys like Bo Bassett already seem very savvy on promoting themselves on social media. 

I could envision a scenario where  a transfer gets blocked by the PIAA and the wrestler sues.   In the past, the wrestler had an uphill battle because it's difficult to show actual harm - disallowing them from competing for the school is not harming them.  

But with the NIL, perhaps they can show monetary damages from not being allowed to compete, paving the way for a successful outcome.

I don't know but I'd like to see your thoughts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic