District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stats on forfeits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stats on forfeits
    Posted: Jun 12 2019 at 4:38pm
On Saturday, I posted these stats tables to both Twitter and Facebook and got a lot of discussions there.  For anyone who isn't on either of those platforms, I figured it would be good to post them here as well.

PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2019 at 5:01pm
I'm going to try to check on other statistics as well.

I don't quite have a chart yet for these (all are based on last year's results) but...
90 PIAA teams didn't have a 106 in any of their dual meets (that's 19%)
52 were AA (23%) and 38 were AAA (15%)
56 PIAA teams didn't have a 113 in any of their dual meets (that's 12%)
34 were AA (15%) and 22 were AAA (9%)
40 PIAA teams didn't have a 120 in any of their dual meets (that's 8%)
30 were AA (13%) and 10 were AAA (4%)
The next "worst" weights were 220 with 28 PIAA teams and 285 with 27 PIAA teams.

What I'd like to figure out next is how many dual meets were those 90 teams involved in... and what percentage of the duals without a 106 does that account for.  I'm curious, does that account for 50% of all the duals without a 106 match... 75%... 90%?  What does it look like for the others weights?

Also working up stats like, how many teams had a 106 in less than 20% (or some other percentage) of their duals?  Then do that for each weight, and split AA vs AAA.

If anyone has any ideas for stats that I might be able to look up, please suggest them and I'll see what I can do.  I do not have any actual weigh-in data so anything I can do would have to be based on results (for duals or tourneys).

EDIT: corrected AA and AAA percentages from what was originally posted.

Edited by MTLeister - Jun 13 2019 at 7:44pm
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2019 at 7:48pm
Tables showing some of the stats I mentioned above... numbers of teams that had no one in ANY their duals at each weight, and also teams that had no one in less than 20% of their duals.  Listed the last 3 seasons.  Also listed all PIAA teams along with splits for AA and AAA.

For each stat, the redder the block, the higher it is for that year.

Perhaps this isn't a great stat but it does seem to show that teams have a harder time filling those 2 or even 3 lightest weights.  Also shows that it's slightly getting better though just barely.

If the graphic is hard to read, try clicking this link.

Edited by MTLeister - Jun 13 2019 at 7:49pm
idontknow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idontknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 35 minutes ago at 11:01am
What happens when you filter out schools that average 6 or more forfeits a dual meet? If a school has 6 or more forfeits the program is not very strong and the issue probably isn't the kids but more the program.
But what do I know
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic