District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Article on possible weight changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2019 at 12:37am
Then there's a solution to those who are so obsessed with the participation of those who can't make 1st string on a team that forfeits multiple weights.  Let all teams have multiple entries in both in-season and post-season tournaments. And why limit it to 2 wrestlers/weight/team?  Throw them all out there.  It might even make the Sectional Championships more interesting.

Or do it like the ICWL did it back when I was in it:  let the coaches get together before every dual and have them match up their wrestlers by weight and ability.  And in order to insure that everyone gets their shot, some kids wrestle multiple times to handle the disparity in team size.

Hey, if we're blowing up the way the sport is handled in a team atmosphere, let's do it in a way to give every wrestler on the team the 'opportunity'. 

ancienthatteroldram View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2019 at 6:32am
OC: Firstly; what is an oldster like you doing up at 12:37 at night? Secondly; the old ICWL method of pairing kids was not perfect but boy it sure got ALL the kids to wrestle in a non-intramural setting. 2 or more wrestlers/weight/team would make all manner of tournaments more interesting and would generate plenty of controversy- I'm all for it. It might invigorate the sport without changing its' basic nature; hopefully keep the freestyle addicts at bay; encourage kids to remain on a team despite not being a "starter"; and who know what other benefits might accrue.
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2019 at 11:01am

I'm with you, oldhatter.  I was just blowing off steam in the middle of the night when I realized that I started making sense.

We have the answer!

cbal24 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbal24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2019 at 11:53am
Multiple entries for 8+ team individual tournaments will result in larger brackets, thus leading to longer tournaments.  It will make those looking for opportunity happy, but will also stir up the people who complain about how long tournaments take.  There is no solution that will please the masses.  I'm not even sure everyone agrees that the sport needs saving.  It may be the consensus on this forum, but we are a small sampling.  We'll have to wait and see how this all plays out.
Win or lose, do it with class!
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2019 at 2:21pm
c24: It has been reliably estimated that only 15% of the colonial population supported separation from the mother country: ergo -agreement or unanimity is not required for a cadre of hard core activists to usher in a marginal and even unpopular agenda. So let us not wait to see how this all plays out, let us man the ramparts for the good of our sport and allow OC a decent nights sleep.  We all know that the masses are a..es and yet most equus asininus  are able to tell when someone speaks with tongue firmly or even somewhat in cheek.

Edited by ancienthatteroldram - Jun 21 2019 at 2:10pm
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2019 at 2:52pm

oldhatter:
A) by my posts you must realize that I am seriously sleep deprived
B) I have no tongue
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2019 at 3:08pm
OC:  Hence you speak no evil; I have cataracts and can see no evil; all we need is a deaf monkey and we'll be a wise trio.
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2019 at 8:24pm
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic