District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

D1 All Decade Team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D1 All Decade Team
    Posted: Mar 23 2019 at 11:45am
A while back, it was suggested that we compile an All Decade Team for District 1... I have started working on that.  I've reached out to a bunch of coaches, officials, and media members to help with it.

When I have more specifics on the release of the list/teams, I'll post something but most likely it'll be ready early to mid April.

Just wanted to let everyone know to keep checking back...it's going to be a fun project looking back over the past ten years of graduating classes within the district.  
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 10:29am
Everything is moving along nicely with this so far.  I contacted around 60 coaches, writers, officials, etc about helping to select the All Decade Team and have votes from about 40 right now (voting closes tonight).

Starting next Sunday, April 14th, we'll be unveiling the District 1 Wrestling All Decade Team...releasing 2 weights per day until we conclude on Saturday, April 20th.

Anyone in the graduating classes of 2010 to 2019 were eligible for consideration.  Since the weight classes changed prior to the 2011-12 season, we grouped the weights together to have 14 groups and assigned all nominations to a weight grouping.  All voters were then asked to vote for their top 5 per group.  Points were assigned like we do for the in-season rankings.  The points then determine who's on the First Team, Second Team, and Third Team.  Honorable mentions will be included as well for anyone earning a certain number of points (to be determined once all votes are sent in).

This have been a fun project to work on.  I hope it's as enjoyable and fun to read about as it was in putting it together.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2019 at 1:20pm
Oh, and we decided to do a "Wrestler of the Decade" as well.  After all the votes were in, we took all the top guys per weight and asked everyone to pick their top 3 overall wrestlers.

The Wrestler of the Decade will be unveiled on Saturday, April 20th after the final 2 weights are released.
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2019 at 8:53pm
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2019 at 8:53pm
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2019 at 6:54pm
First two weights of the All Decade Team will be unveiled Sunday at 2 PM.

The rest of the schedule will be published tomorrow as well.
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2019 at 2:08pm
charles View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2019 at 12:31pm
How close was Fuentes in the voting? He's one of the most underrated wrestlers in recent District 1 history...
dicemen99 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicemen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2019 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by charles charles wrote:

How close was Fuentes in the voting? He's one of the most underrated wrestlers in recent District 1 history...

Not Mike, but I imagine it was very close.  I had him 3rd on my ballot, but I can see the argument for Gulotta - more medals, more region championships.  One of the tougher decisions in this exercise, which for the most part was pretty straightforward.  This was a debatable one, Harner/Stillings, sorting out weight classes without much hardware like 145 and 160, maybe a couple others.

There are a bunch of weight classes where Fuentes would be the 1st team selection as you will see later on.  

Edited by dicemen99 - Apr 15 2019 at 1:53pm
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2019 at 6:05pm
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2019 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by charles charles wrote:

There was a 15 point difference between Gulotta and Fuentes (132 to 117).  So it was close.  Parker and Gulotta were actually closer... 145 to 132.

I'll probably post the full point totals after the whole thing is released.
cbal24 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbal24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2019 at 1:34am
What was the criteria for assigning weight classes for those considered?
Win or lose, do it with class!
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2019 at 5:47am
Originally posted by cbal24 cbal24 wrote:

What was the criteria for assigning weight classes for those considered?

The criteria is listed under the "Voting Process" heading here:
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2019 at 6:03pm
Dodfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2019 at 8:12pm
I'm shocked Josh Dziewa isn't on the first team.
Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
dicemen99 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicemen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2019 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Dodfan Dodfan wrote:

I'm shocked Josh Dziewa isn't on the first team.

I'm not
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2019 at 8:01am
Josh Dziewa no question deserved the top spot. He was first in district 1 to win Fargo if I'm not mistaken.

Also the highest place at States should get the nod. I saw at least one time so far where a finalist is ranked lower then someone who didn't reach the finals. Everyone has an opinion but that doesn't seem fair.

Edited by Berwyn - Apr 17 2019 at 8:04am
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2019 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Berwyn Berwyn wrote:

Josh Dziewa no question deserved the top spot. He was first in district 1 to win Fargo if I'm not mistaken.

Also the highest place at States should really should get the nod. I saw at least one time so far where a finalist is ranked lower then someone who placed. Everyone has an opinion but that doesn't seem fair.

Only high school wrestling accolades were to be used when deciding who to pick on these teams.  So while the Fargo result is no doubt great, it wasn't considered.  Also, the entire HS career for each wrestler was considered, not just a single season.

As far as your other comment, not sure I understand.  Both Trampe and Dziewa won state gold as seniors.  Trampe has 3 state medals (2nd, 6th, 1st), while Dziewa has 1 (1st).
bennythejetrodriguez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bennythejetrodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2019 at 9:50am

Also the highest place at States should get the nod. I saw at least one time so far where a finalist is ranked lower then someone who didn't reach the finals. Everyone has an opinion but that doesn't seem fair.

You are mistaken. Mike Pirozzola won Fargo in 1999.
charles View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2019 at 10:26am

Dziewa may have been the better wrestler, that is up for debate, but Trampe definitely had a better high school career.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic