District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

D1 All Decade Team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by dicemen99 dicemen99 wrote:

Originally posted by Dodfan Dodfan wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree about folkstyle. I think we're talking about two different caliber athletes.

I'll just continue to disagree.  I'm not sure how a different caliber athlete could suddenly have gotten that much better to make the NCAA championships and win a match with barely a 1/2 of a college season under his belt due to a deferred enrollment and a serious injury.  Something not many SE PA wrestlers have ever been able to accomplish in their freshman seasons.  

I guess he just improved an awful lot.

I'd suggest you go back and check out the list of state medalists, state finalists and future NCAA D1 wrestlers each defeated during their HS careers.  I didn't have to for Zack, but I did to refresh for Josh.  

Josh was a great wrestler.  So was Zack.

Well Trampe qualified for and won a match at the NCAAs this year after only being in the lineup the second semester.  Guess that makes them pretty even.

As a voter I think we all took Mike's criteria to heart, overall hs career.  Not much to separate Josh and Trampe in their senior years.  Its just hard for me to get past their overall performances at Hershey. Does missing his junior year hurt, sure because if you look at the 130 bracket in 2009 Alex Pelliciotti (3rd team on this list) was SE1 and finished 7th. He lost 3-2 in the quarters to Rocco Welleck of Cathedral Prep who finished 2nd to Joe Waltko, who coincidentally beat Matt Martoccio, who finished 8th, 3-2 in the quarters.  No disrespect to either Welleck or Walko, but neither is exactly a major name in PIAA history.  So maybe Josh would have won it all that year or at least placed, which would have made the discussion more interesting since he would have 2 medals and maybe a 8-5 record at Hershey.  However, it didn't happen so it doesn't count.

Edited by NCAARef - Apr 20 2019 at 10:59am
dicemen99 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicemen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 10:53am
Originally posted by NCAARef NCAARef wrote:

Originally posted by dicemen99 dicemen99 wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree about folkstyle. I think we're talking about two different caliber athletes.

I'll just continue to disagree.  I'm not sure how a different caliber athlete could suddenly have gotten that much better to make the NCAA championships and win a match with barely a 1/2 of a college season under his belt due to a deferred enrollment and a serious injury.  Something not many SE PA wrestlers have ever been able to accomplish in their freshman seasons.  

I guess he just improved an awful lot.

I'd suggest you go back and check out the list of state medalists, state finalists and future NCAA D1 wrestlers each defeated during their HS careers.  I didn't have to for Zack, but I did to refresh for Josh.  

Josh was a great wrestler.  So was Zack.

Well Trampe qualified for and won a match at the NCAAs this year after only being in the lineup the second semester.  Guess that makes them pretty even.

Ha, Ref - that's who I was referring to (Zack).  Guess I needed to make myself clearer on that.  Was trying to say if he was so far behind Dziewa coming out of HS, how the heck did that happen????  LOL

Of course, I don't think many realize just how hard it is to do (qualifying for nationals, and even more so, being competitive in that environment).

Edited by dicemen99 - Apr 20 2019 at 11:06am
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 11:47am
Just a reminder, the last 2 weights will be unveiled today at 2 PM followed by the top 3 selections for the Wrestler of the Decade at 6 PM.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
monkeyBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeyBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Ramwrestlingmom Ramwrestlingmom wrote:

Just would have been nice to see the write ups done better.

Wow, really?  I know you can't please everyone but that's harsh.  This has been great.  No matter what you do, you'll always been able to find some one who will complain.
Shock the Monkey!
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 2:02pm
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 4:39pm
189-195 is interesting. We should all watch that state final again. I felt like it was strange. The Petroski's have always had terrible luck at Hershey. Andre's father Guy gets Nate Carr in the finals. Andre's uncle Mark's semi match with Ray Brinzer was whacky with Brinzer taking breaks when he was getting barred up. Mark's 1990 semi & Andre's 2010 final matches seemed milky.

Does Springfield Delco have a state champ? If not I would say that bad Luck played somewhat a role in the Petroski's misfortunes.

To close out the JD ZT argument one last remark would be that I can see both sides but for me it was JD being the first D1 wrestler to win junior Nationals and win state along with possibly first to wrestle for Iowa.

When you add it up at the end of the day all in all ZT should be the winner because overall I believe that anything done after graduation should not be counted. Only accolades during their scholastic career should be judged imo. Josh won Junior National & wrestled for Iowa after he graduated from high school.

Double thumbs up to Mike. I thought the write ups & pictures were a great way to really capture the last 10 years.

Edited by Berwyn - Apr 20 2019 at 8:02pm
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 6:05pm
The last part of our All Decade Team is our selection for Wrestler of the Decade.

After picking the first team, our panel voted again for Wrestler of the Decade and the results where:

#1, Jordan Wood, Boyertown
#2, Billy Rappo, Council Rock South
#3, Brett Harner, Norristown

You can read Bill Rudick's article about Wood being chosen for this honor here:

Dodfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Berwyn Berwyn wrote:

189-195 is interesting. We should all watch that state final again. I felt like it was strange. The Petroski's have always had terrible luck at Hershey. Andre's father Guy gets Nate Carr in the finals. Andre's uncle Mark's semi match with Ray Brinzer was whacky with Brinzer taking breaks when he was getting barred up. Mark's 1990 semi & Andre's 2010 final matches seemed milky.

Does Springfield Delco have a state champ? If not I would say that bad Luck played somewhat a role in the Petroski's misfortunes.

Don't even go there!
Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
Dodfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by MTLeister MTLeister wrote:

The last part of our All Decade Team is our selection for Wrestler of the Decade.

After picking the first team, our panel voted again for Wrestler of the Decade and the results where:

I totally agree with Jordan Wood being the top wrestler of the decade

Outside of 132, I have to say that I agree.
Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 10:02pm

Yes, Springfield has a state champ, John Dussling. He was the guy that convinced me that if you master 2 moves, you can be state champ. 
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2019 at 8:16am
The only conspicuous spots for me were 182 Josh Stillings should be one and all time list Mike Boykin should be at least on the list. He was a finger grab away from getting 2 titles and swiping away a future four timer. I was there watching MB in the quarters against Haines. I knew then it was a big deal.

The objective in PA high school is to win state gold at Hershey. Having that type of pressure and getting the job done.

Jordan Wood is the total package. He did the most & did it young. It will be fun to watch him the next couple years under Pat Santoro.

Edited by Berwyn - Apr 21 2019 at 1:07pm
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2019 at 9:38am

Originally posted by MTLeister MTLeister wrote:

I totally agree with Jordan Wood being the top wrestler of the decade

Outside of 132, I have to say that I agree.

Jordan Wood's comments at the end of this article tell you a lot about the young man.  Very impressive!

ancienthatteroldram View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2019 at 11:12am
Double thumbs up to Mike and all those who helped with this project. Great job!!

No disrespect intended, but any list of the best, whatever the skill celebrated, calls to mind Mark Twain's short story> "Capt. Stormfield's Visit to Heaven". A heavenly procession takes place honoring the greatest people in history. Much to Stormfield's surprise, Shakespeare is not accounted the greatest poet. The honor goes to "the tailor Billings, from Tennessee"- unheard, unpublished, unknown.

Happy Easter to all of you.
charles View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2019 at 6:24pm

Mike 125lbs is what I was referring to with regards to my second comment from my first post on this topic.

Jeremy Minich placed second but Wade Cummings placed 4th & he got the top spot? Desanto highest place is 5th?

How can a two guys with TWO loses at States their final year be ranked above a wrestler that makes the finals with one loss his final trip to states. Just my opinion.

Cummings had a better career, Minich had a better senior year.
AAWarrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2019 at 12:09pm
Well done Mike, and all others involved. I enjoyed these very much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic