PA-Wrestling.com
District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Placers by region... a thought.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mctuna40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Placers by region... a thought.
    Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 10:08am
Being at Hershey and seeing the finals was a ton of fun! It is amazing the level of wrestling you see on those 4 mats...

It looks like the SW has most placers again but NE has closed the gap quite a bit over the last few years...
SC (because of the fall of the mighty CD over the last almost decade) continues to be mediocre but narrowly edged out the SE in medal count. The NW >really only 3-4 schools< as always had some really good wrestlers but least number of placers.

I do not know why I always feel this way after States, maybe I am OCD???
I would suggest making 4 regions SE, Central, North and West. Try to split up the Districts as best you can to make an almost equal # of teams in each Region. If need be, split the smaller Districts into different regions, send 5 wrestlers per weight from each to states. It just seems smarter and easier.

Edited by Mctuna40 - Mar 10 2019 at 10:09am
Holtjack View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holtjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 2:11pm
Travel time is big reason for the five regions in AAA, because there are so few large schools in central PA and the northern tier. A couple of years ago the District 4 teams had to travel to Sharon on the Ohio state line for regions.  Ugh. It's rough enough now that D4, D8, and D12 have to travel so far for their regional tournaments; I just can't see any equitable split-up of any of the districts that wouldn't leave somone howling.
Those who forget the past need to read some history books!
Mctuna40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 2:46pm
I get it Holt... but there are only 4 for Football. Just thought they could do similar. NW is truly only 3-4 schools that dominate almost 1/2 the NW placers came from Cathedral Prep and DuBois. Either way it was an awesome event like always!
ancienthatteroldram View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2019 at 3:00pm
Lengthy team travel time is not the only issue with the present format. I attended the Thursday and Friday session. Got home late Friday night- an almost 2 hour trip. Making the return trip for the Sat 9AM session would turn a pleasant experience into a chore- a marathon. I really can't think of intrinsic reasons why the tournament needs to be a three day affair. Even for those who love the smell of chocolate, enjoy early morning car trips or enjoy extended motel accommodations , two days IMHO seems reasonable.   Since AA and AAA are in fact run as two separate tournaments, why not have two separate venues?
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2019 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by ancienthatteroldram ancienthatteroldram wrote:

Lengthy team travel time is not the only issue with the present format. I attended the Thursday and Friday session. Got home late Friday night- an almost 2 hour trip. Making the return trip for the Sat 9AM session would turn a pleasant experience into a chore- a marathon. I really can't think of intrinsic reasons why the tournament needs to be a three day affair. Even for those who love the smell of chocolate, enjoy early morning car trips or enjoy extended motel accommodations , two days IMHO seems reasonable.   Since AA and AAA are in fact run as two separate tournaments, why not have two separate venues?

Well that adds to the expenses of running the tournaments, if you go to multiple locations.  They did it for a few years that way back in the 70s.  But I think there are plenty of people who want to attend both AA and AAA.  Of course if you want the tournaments to be covered by the media, one location is a lot easier especially if they are run on the same dates.  It just makes sense to have them in the same venue.

Yes, it makes for three very long days (Friday especially) if you are there for the whole thing, but it's better than 2 venues IMHO.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2019 at 5:13pm
Mike: Belated congrats!  1. I suspect neither AA not AAA sessions are money losing propositions. Financially they would viably stand alone.  2. Would like to know what % of total attendees are actually "double dippers". Once we define and quantify "plenty" the objection becomes less subjective. 3. In a few years what remains of the print media will be history. Flo-media and the Web make virtual attendance possible. How many tickets remained unsold and seats unoccupied because of this technology.

If we really want to make the tournament a three day media worthy event, let it be moved to warmer climes-Clearwater or Bradenton will suit. At least no standing in chilling weather while my belongings are searched.
cbal24 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbal24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2019 at 6:04pm
Since I go to all sessions and see the others that do, I'd estimate between 400 and 500 people go to all sessions.  Additionally. there are quite a few AAA folks that go to the AA finals and make a day of it Saturday.  I'm pretty sure going to 2 venues would result in lower total revenue.
Win or lose, do it with class!
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2019 at 6:32pm
24: Lower revenues could well result; but we are not in this because of the bottom line. Flo pays for the privilege of  broadcast? rights; it would presumably pay to cover both events. Those revenues would most likely cover the loss of the 400 or 500 that could not attend both venues.
What might be lost by one is gained be another. Some school districts would inevitably safe monies. For some it would be one less lost school day.
Bill Rudick View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rudick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2019 at 4:01pm
Two separate venues would make things a living hell for decent media coverage.  Papers and other media outlets are already understaffed--Saturday I was writing for three papers and shooting for five.  Virtually no one would be able to staff two separate venues.  

It's wrestling--I say make it a one class, 32-man bracket.  The top AA schools and wrestlers are still going to find their way onto the podium.  
www.rudickimages.photoreflect.com
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2019 at 4:28pm
Agreed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic