PA-Wrestling.com
District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A better look at potential district brackets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AAWarrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2019 at 11:56pm
I have Milano over Mousaw, if they meet at 182.
Half Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Half Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2019 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by charles charles wrote:

Originally posted by Half Nelson Half Nelson wrote:

I agree with you Stoga. Lledo is fun to watch. He's back and wrestling 170. Disagree about Kibwe...That kid ain't going down! He may just win Regional's  

I think he meant Kibwe is going down... to 132 pounds. Not going down, losing.

That makes more sense although I think he's staying at 138
jcl..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Half Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 12:02am
Originally posted by AAWarrior AAWarrior wrote:

I have Milano over Mousaw, if they meet at 182.

Yea I Forgot about Joey Milano..Some exciting match up's heading our way!
jcl..
SHOVEL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVEL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 7:30am
132 east is also loaded
AAWarrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 8:33am
Fuss walks away with the 132 title. But the battle for 2nd and 3rd should be very entertaining
rechall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rechall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 10:46am
In the West I am really intrigued by 120 and Heavyweight. At 120, Killian is the clear number 1, but all the other guys listed are really tough. From all the wrestling I have seen this year, I think all of those guys are good enough to wrestle at the regional tournament. Obviously only 4 can make it. At heavyweight, the depth is good too. Again, Deery is the obvious 1, but after that anyone can find themselves in the top 4. It is going to depend on who shows up.

Edited by rechall - Feb 13 2019 at 10:48am
Morbit1984 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morbit1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 11:18am
I heard the 113 from Phoenixville is back too in the west wasn't he a regional qualifier? 
KC1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 1:33pm
Are Romanelli and Scheerer for Downingtown East expected to return for Post-Season?

Edited by KC1 - Feb 13 2019 at 1:34pm
charles View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by KC1 KC1 wrote:

Are Romanelli and Scheerer for Downingtown East expected to return for Post-Season?

I read Romanelli is out for the year. Not sure about Scheerer.
cradles2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cradles2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 6:08pm

when I look at it now lledo probably should go 160. he can beat and dominate a lot of the top guys. I don't kno though that's my opinion. bad weight cut? but what weights are wide open? can someone tell me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Half Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by cradles2001 cradles2001 wrote:

when I look at it now lledo probably should go 160. he can beat and dominate a lot of the top guys. I don't kno though that's my opinion. bad weight cut? but what weights are wide open? can someone tell me

Cradles. Great point  about Lledo. I too think he would have fared well at 160...unfortunately "decentgate" prevents  him from wrestling at his true weight. [160]  All I know is he bumped up to compete against Lenny Pinto & John Crawford [his only two loses] . We all have favorites we cheer on come tournament time....Well guys I'm not ashamed to say I'll be cheering for James & Jack Lledo...along with the Christian Hodges and the rest of the Lower Merion Aces!  

jcl..
cradles2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cradles2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 8:37pm
I think that's the same for the Cheltenham wrestler at 170 (believe he was making his way down to 160 weighed in low at sol americans)  something about a cut off date at feb 15 right?

Edited by cradles2001 - Feb 13 2019 at 8:38pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Half Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by cradles2001 cradles2001 wrote:

I think that's the same for the Cheltenham wrestler at 170 (believe he was making his way down to 160 weighed in low at sol americans)  something about a cut off date at feb 15 right?

Yea Pal what do I know? These teenage kids depend on there coaches to advise them week to week on where to weigh in at. Win a Duel? Weigh in at 160 one week and 175  the next? Spend the season figuring out how much to weigh each week? Crazy to me. I'm just a Dad encouraging my boys to enjoy the opportunity wrestling is give them. ...Boy's & Girls... You are not defined by winning and losing...You are defined by the work you put in and  achieve the best that you could offer! Quit depriving yourselves of a good meal!!

What about all kids just wrestling there normal weight? Wouldn't the best wrestler rise to the top anyway? Why do we encourage our kids to spend their High School Years not eating! 

I know of one kid who refuses to diet...And he's the best in D-1...Congratulations Hunter Catka for not only being a great kid...but eating!!  
jcl..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Half Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by charles charles wrote:

Originally posted by KC1 KC1 wrote:

I read Romanelli is out for the year. Not sure about Scheerer.

Sorry to hear Mat Romanelli is out for the year. That kid is a Bull! I've been following him hoping he'd come back....I'm sure his Dad will take him fishing and make sure he's well healed before he comes back. Best of luck Mat!!
jcl..
#respect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote #respect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 6:33am
When will the Districts brackets be available?
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by #respect #respect wrote:

When will the Districts brackets be available?

The District 1/12 AA brackets should be out next Wednesday or Thursday.

Same goes for the District 1 AAA Section brackets (not sure why people are calling them District tournaments...when a District is too big to have a single District tournament, they split into Sections...check the rest of the state, lol).

So look for brackets Wednesday or Thursday... we'll have them all.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
Runner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2019 at 9:09pm
Seems to me that there is support for either calling this Sections or Districts.  But, I prefer Districts.   We all know that District 1 AAA is large enough that it forms its own stand alone Region, the SE Region.   And, we do refer to the playoffs on March 1st & 2nd as "Regionals."   So, let's work backwards from Regionals.  it seem to me that the playoffs from the week before Regionals are more aptly referred to as "Districts" because we typically don't go straight from Sections to Regionals.  Also, for the prestige points determinations, I think the we will look at the playoffs on Feb 23&24 and award prestige points under the "districts" scale.

A Rose by any other name would smell just as sweet!
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2019 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Runner Runner wrote:

Seems to me that there is support for either calling this Sections or Districts.  But, I prefer Districts.   We all know that District 1 AAA is large enough that it forms its own stand alone Region, the SE Region.   And, we do refer to the playoffs on March 1st & 2nd as "Regionals."   So, let's work backwards from Regionals.  it seem to me that the playoffs from the week before Regionals are more aptly referred to as "Districts" because we typically don't go straight from Sections to Regionals.  Also, for the prestige points determinations, I think the we will look at the playoffs on Feb 23&24 and award prestige points under the "districts" scale.

A Rose by any other name would smell just as sweet!

There are 2 other self-contained regions in AAA besides D1 (none in AA)... District 3 is the South Central Region and District 7 is the South West Region.  Both have Sections, followed by Regions.  The Regional tournament is actually also the District tournament.  So if you win the SW AAA Region, you are a District 7 champ as well.  The medals might even indicate that.  If you went to either of those first post-season tournaments and said "this is Districts" I think people would either laugh at you or look confused, ha.

You can't have four District 1 AAA champs at the same weight.  That doesn't make any sense, right?

I think the "confusion" (if you will) is because D1 used to have split-districts (or maybe sub-regionals are better descriptions) which were called "Districts" for some reason.  The tournament should only be called "Districts" if all AAA teams got together for a single tournament (like the smaller Districts do).

You bring up a good point regarding prestige and caliber points for seeding.  For prestige it doesn't matter yet.  I confirmed there was no one on a D1 roster that was on a D3 or D7 roster last year to make it an issue this year.  If there was anyone, it would have to be decided now.  But for caliber points... you only get those points for wrestling a region or state placer, so it doesn't factor in.  Since other Districts classify the tournaments as "sections", I'd hope D1 would do that same but we'll see.  It will need to be figured out, that's for sure.

But yes, either way it's a step towards Hershey.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 7:31am

I've always been opposed to the setup that D1 has had since when, the '80s?  District 1 South, North, East, West, Central.  None of those made one a 'District Champ', but as Mike noted, people referred to them as "Districts", just to give it a name, I guess.  "District Norths" maybe would have been a better name. 

Seems to me, the so-called "Districts", pretty much made "Sections" worthless. I've been ranting about this since long before there was a website. Adding a week of pressure to place and pressure to make weight merely to have the opportunity to make it to the true District championships was a burden that the other Regions that were also District didn't make their kids bear.

When District 3 suddenly became dangerous, then controlled the states for a while, people finally noticed they only had 2 tourneys. And District 7 has always had 2 tournaments, and usually performs great at States. Of course, they have great wrestling there, but it certainly didn't make the job of D1 kids easier to go through 3 tournaments when most of our main rivals only go through 2. 

So now we're deciding what is best to call the tournaments. To coin a phrase, call them whatever you want to call them. At last we've made an intelligent change to our playoff system. 

YoungBuck42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoungBuck42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 hours 34 minutes ago at 6:14am
I feel the term "Sections" will settle in over time. People just have to get used to the change. Within 5-10 years D1 will fall in line with D3 and the rest lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic