District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Faith Christian at State Duals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cbal24 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbal24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faith Christian at State Duals
    Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 1:42pm
AA schools don't get much discussion on this board, but the lads from Faith Christian gave a good showing this year.  They may have gone 0-2, but they were competitive in many of their bouts.  They also put up more team points than other AA teams in recent memory.  Kudos to the wrestlers and coaches for representing D1 well.
Win or lose, do it with class!
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by cbal24 cbal24 wrote:

AA schools don't get much discussion on this board, but the lads from Faith Christian gave a good showing this year.  They may have gone 0-2, but they were competitive in many of their bouts.  They also put up more team points than other AA teams in recent memory.  Kudos to the wrestlers and coaches for representing D1 well.

Thumbs up to Coach Clymer and his boys!

AAWarrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2019 at 4:55pm
They are doing things right over there. Goes to show what can happen when the school district is all in on a wrestling program. Expect them to continue to grow and improve every year
KevinK76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinK76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2019 at 1:09pm
Not to burst your bubble about the school district going all in, but I believe Faith Christian is a private christian school, and is located in Sellersville, upper Bucks County.  So yes, it's great that the school is supporting the sport.  But they can draw kids from "the area" and are not restricted to school district boundaries.  Which can help a program grow.  No different than PJP, St. Joes Prep, Arch Bishop Carroll, the dreaded Bethlehem Catholic, etc.  

Obviously based on the recent results Ben Clymer, the head coach, is doing  a great job with the program.  Ben was was a PA State Champion and a NCAA DI Qualifier.  And from what I hear, he's a great guy.  

You're also seeing more guys with college wrestling experience who competed in the District 1 coming back to District 1, which is a really good thing for the Southeast Region.  And yes I know, Ben is from Northwestern Lehigh, so he's bringing that District 11 mindset with him.  Again, good for the SE Region.

Edited by KevinK76 - Feb 12 2019 at 1:12pm
Mctuna40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2019 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by KevinK76 KevinK76 wrote:

Not to burst your bubble about the school district going all in, but I believe Faith Christian is a private christian school, and is located in Sellersville, upper Bucks County.  So yes, it's great that the school is supporting the sport.  But they can draw kids from "the area" and are not restricted to school district boundaries.  Which can help a program grow.  No different than PJP, St. Joes Prep, Arch Bishop Carroll, the dreaded Bethlehem Catholic, etc.

O NO... let’s add them to the Evil list! A non public Christian school who doesnt have boundaries and has to recruit to keep its doors open!   When will the pitchforks and torches come out???

Edited by Mctuna40 - Feb 12 2019 at 1:15pm
AAWarrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AAWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2019 at 2:26pm
You're not bursting my bubble. But to see the new wrestling facilities that were made for them, shows that they mean business and are looking to improve for the long haul.

Get a good coach? Check
Give him the facilities he needs? Check
Start building a tougher schedule? Check

You may question if they are all in because of the fact they have kids outside of sellersville on the team (not sure how that doesn't mean they're working to better the team).....but it certainly appears to me that they are.
KevinK76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinK76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Mctuna40 Mctuna40 wrote:

O NO... let’s add them to the Evil list! A non public Christian school who doesnt have boundaries and has to recruit to keep its doors open!   When will the pitchforks and torches come out???

Ah, Mr. Tuna, wasn't adding anyone to the "Evil List."  I have no issues with who does what and where in what athletic organization.  In-fact I'm a big fan of Beca as several family members have attended the school over the decades.  Merely citing that Faith Christian is not a school district.  Maybe I should have added one of them emoticons to better express my intentions.  But that's not what I do, so on we go.
Mctuna40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 11:17pm
Kevin
Not saying you were... just know where this thread was going on this forum. There is a loud contingent on this forum that ‘dont ‘ approve of non public schools competeting. Sorry if you took it as a shot against you.

Edited by Mctuna40 - Feb 13 2019 at 11:19pm
charles View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 7:22am

Kevin
Not saying you were... just know where this thread was going on this forum. There is a loud contingent on this forum that ‘dont ‘ approve of non public schools competeting. Sorry if you took it as a shot against you.

Well, here's to hoping your beloved St. Joe's Prep and the BECAs of the world can go somewhere lonely and play against their own kind:

Foleman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 9:00am
That legislation, even if it did pass, would be tied up in the court system for years.  Don't underestimate the power of the Catholic League lawyers.  The PIAA cant compete with St Joe Prep's money, every School in the Catholic league hates them.  You never hear any complaints about the Pub's who dominate sports-S. Columbia football, the most dominant program in the State, or Reynolds wrestling-3 straight titles.  Reading Hoops won the PIAA with 6 transfers who teamed up with Lonnie Walker, but that's OK.  The transfer rule will help, so will the multiplier with Private schools moving up in class....no way Erie Cathedral Prep should be 4A for football. Look at what a mess NJ is.  Everyone gets a trophy!  I also see some teams that have been part of the recruiting problem-Wood, Imhotep etc taking a step back due to the transfer rules.
castelli3017 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelli3017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 10:14am
Word on the street is if this becomes a reality District 12 teams will no longer be members of the PIAA. ThePhiladelphia Catholic League for obvious reasons, of no geographic catchment area. The Philadelphia Public league will also have to go as well because the league is a mixture of neighborhood schools with catchment zones, Magnet Schools that draw from the entire city (Central, Masterman, etc...), and Charter Schools. 

If this happens whats the result? Does the PCL go back to National Preps? Will the PPL follow? It would be nice to be rid of the PIAA competition points and scheduling restrictions.
Dodfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Foleman Foleman wrote:

That legislation, even if it did pass, would be tied up in the court system for years.  Don't underestimate the power of the Catholic League lawyers.  The PIAA cant compete with St Joe Prep's money, every School in the Catholic league hates them.  You never hear any complaints about the Pub's who dominate sports-S. Columbia football, the most dominant program in the State, or Reynolds wrestling-3 straight titles.  Reading Hoops won the PIAA with 6 transfers who teamed up with Lonnie Walker, but that's OK.  The transfer rule will help, so will the multiplier with Private schools moving up in class....no way Erie Cathedral Prep should be 4A for football. Look at what a mess NJ is.  Everyone gets a trophy!  I also see some teams that have been part of the recruiting problem-Wood, Imhotep etc taking a step back due to the transfer rules.

The first part of your post, I completely agree with. SJP funded lawyers against PIAA lawyers will be like a three time state champ wrestling a JV 106 pounder with a losing record.

Second part, the Southern Columbia situation is a joke. It's been going on for the better part of 30 years and the PIAA does nothing. I don't blame Southern Columbia, I blame PIAA incompetence. If they were in their proper classification for football, how many state titles would they have? My guess is zero. They would still be good AAA in wrestling the past few years.

I'm not sure what your argument is with Reynolds. Their top wrestlers are all Reynold's kids. They are also a small AA school.

Reading high needed those transfers to compete. PIAA basketball is the worst of all sports. The PIAA is so lost in that sport. I think non-public schools have won like 18 of the last 20 championships.

I hope the legislation passes. It's at least a start.
Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
Dodfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 10:28am
Originally posted by castelli3017 castelli3017 wrote:

Word on the street is if this becomes a reality District 12 teams will no longer be members of the PIAA. ThePhiladelphia Catholic League for obvious reasons, of no geographic catchment area. The Philadelphia Public league will also have to go as well because the league is a mixture of neighborhood schools with catchment zones, Magnet Schools that draw from the entire city (Central, Masterman, etc...), and Charter Schools. 

If this happens whats the result? Does the PCL go back to National Preps? Will the PPL follow? It would be nice to be rid of the PIAA competition points and scheduling restrictions.

Why wouldn't those schools be eligible for classifications with non-public schools?
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelli3017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Dodfan Dodfan wrote:

Originally posted by castelli3017 castelli3017 wrote:

Why wouldn't those schools be eligible for classifications with non-public schools?

Charter and Magnet Schools can be eligible for the non-public classification but would split the PPL apart. PPL officials seem to want to take an all or nothing approach to this situation. Basically, they are trying to threaten the PIAA. IF you (PIAA) make this change then we (PPL and perhaps all of D12) are out. DOubt it would work but it would make lots of football and basketball fans around the state happy if D12 was sent to the Non-Public classification, or left the PIAA altogether 
JstoneCFS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JstoneCFS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 10:55am
I always think it's worth noting in these conversations that the vast majority of PIAA private schools do not recruit top athletes. I think that the way to go is to have clear and more strictly enforced recruiting and transfer rules. 

Just sending all non-boundary schools, including those playing by the rules, into some exile division, where everyone is destined to lose to BECA, can't be the only solution. 
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelli3017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 11:25am
Originally posted by JstoneCFS JstoneCFS wrote:

I always think it's worth noting in these conversations that the vast majority of PIAA private schools do not recruit top athletes. I think that the way to go is to have clear and more strictly enforced recruiting and transfer rules. 

Just sending all non-boundary schools, including those playing by the rules, into some exile division, where everyone is destined to lose to BECA, can't be the only solution. 

Well said! If the PIAA does go in that direction do you think schools like Church Farm would return to the National Prep ranks and the PAISWT Tournament, or stay in the "exile division" of the PIAA?
Dodfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by JstoneCFS JstoneCFS wrote:

What school would you be directly referring to?
eas88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 11:57am
The politicians are just grandstanding for votes. Do you think they really care that much about this or they can do anything about it? 
The PIAA is a private organization and they can change the classifications whenever they like. Nobody is forcing schools to join the PIAA. Every school is free to join or leave as they like. But as it has been posted above, D12 is threating to leave if that happens. That would result in a loss of revenue and if there is one thing we can all agree on, we all know the PIAA is all about the $$ first. They are just using state law as an excuse. 

Mctuna40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 9:58am
Originally posted by charles charles wrote:

Kevin

Well, here's to hoping your beloved St. Joe's Prep and the BECAs of the world can go somewhere lonely and play against their own kind:

Haha why such animus...
Mctuna40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 10:22am
I will say it again...

The rules the PIAA had in place in the 70-80-90’s were anti-inner city (affecting a higher percentage minority) and Anti-Catholic! The PIAA knew that Football and Basktball wold be dominated by Philly & Pittsburgh, so they limited their participation... Returning to these rules would be a travesty, a political nightmare and would never hold up in court! The fact that many Philly and Pittsburgh public schools are magnet schools... and If you look at it objectively every private school in the state is a magnet school and needs to recruit to survive!

Would you limit Berks Catholic, McDevett in Harrisburg, BSHS and even schools that are not dominate in sports... because ALL of them recruit and include students who are outside their “Boundries”? Would you pick and choose because of sports on who would be exiled? How about a parent in Eastern LanCo who chooses to send a child to BSHS because it’s better academically and their child is a very good female LAX player, would you say BSHS should turn them away or would you now not allow Football to compete in PIAA competition?

This argument being made truly effects parents and children and even though my kids go to DEHS and are “Negatively affected” by this, I always error on the side of parents and students rights! As someone who has coached in PIAA sports for many years, I’m may more interested in the individual student athlete.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic