PA-Wrestling.com
District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PIAA and Flo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
bonafide1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonafide1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PIAA and Flo
    Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 3:51am
PIAA has given the television rights for the team and individual tournaments to FloSports. No more watching for free on PCN. https://www.piaa.org/news/details.aspx?ID=3743
Evigilo vel vado domus.
maxtan86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxtan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 5:55am
I never knew PCN was free.
Max Tanenbaum
Belmont Charter High School
max.tanenbaum@belmontcharternetwork.org
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 7:00am
yes, PCN is free. I know, cause that's what I pay for it.  

FLO isn't free. FLO used to allow you to buy a monthly subscription.  I would pay for it from November thru March-April, then bail until the next year. Now they require you to pay for a year in advance.

I can't get interested in freestyle (except if a PSU kid is doing it) so I don't want to pay over the summer.  Now the PIAA is bailing on PCN. 

I think it's the apocalypse.
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 7:24am
I think it is only "free" if you have a cable subscription that includes PCN, correct?  If you don't have cable or a cable plan with PCN, you could pay to watch events on their website.

Either way, I'm with oldcougar here... If Flo offered a monthly subscription, I'd get it.  But I completely understand why they don't offer it (too many people probably did the same as us).

Just curious to see how this goes over.  

PCN has a note on their website now about not having broadcast rights for wrestling.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 7:25am
Also, I wonder how much money Flo threw at the PIAA to do this.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
ChunkyMamma View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChunkyMamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 7:53am
Cable is at least 80/month... hardly free. But don't ask me, I don't subscribe to it.
Flo will allow you to go monthly if you call customer service and ask.
Fat mammas make fat babies
cradles2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cradles2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 8:03am
lets be honest if you have cable you probably have pcn if if you live in pennsylvania. what about the kids and families that wanna watch there friend in the state finals but cant actually go to the arena. why would they pay for the flo subscription???? alot of people dont even know about flo
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 8:04am
Originally posted by ChunkyMamma ChunkyMamma wrote:

Cable is at least 80/month... hardly free. But don't ask me, I don't subscribe to it.
Flo will allow you to go monthly if you call customer service and ask.

I guess what oldcougar and others were thinking was that... if you already have cable, it's no extra cost to you.  I doubt anyone is subscribing to cable just to get PIAA Championships on PCN.

I didn't know that about Flo for monthly service.  I may try that, though both times that I did subscribe I had a really tough time cancelling.
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 8:10am
Originally posted by cradles2001 cradles2001 wrote:

lets be honest if you have cable you probably have pcn if if you live in pennsylvania. what about the kids and families that wanna watch there friend in the state finals but cant actually go to the arena. why would they pay for the flo subscription???? alot of people dont even know about flo

You would have to pay something somewhere to watch.  That's not unreasonable.

If Flo had a plan for 1 month or even per event, more people would like this.  That's what the NFHS Network used to do that would cover the tournament, though I think their prices were too high for a single tournament.

The only people happy with this would be Flo themselves and anyone who already has a Flo subscription.
lbdoinit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbdoinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 8:51am
The PIAA can not be getting a ton of money here......viewership will go from few to almost none for the championships now....cutting off the nose.

Edited by lbdoinit - Jan 30 2019 at 8:52am
Cold iron shackles, ball and chain. Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train.
rechall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rechall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 9:03am
As someone who has a Flo account, I am pretty excited for this change. If they run the brackets on their Flo Arena app, it will allow me to watch any match from any point at the tournament. Previously, if I could not make it up to Hershey, I could only watch the finals. This year, Flo has covered more events than they ever have previously. Almost every weekend they are covering 5-6 college duals, plus they usually have all the big high school events (Ironman, Powerade, Escape the Rock, Super 32). I do not use it much in the off-season, but for the amount I get out of it during the season, it is worth it. However, I can understand why others do not want to commit to a full year.
chuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 9:09am
If you are a wrestling junkie its a good deal.This weekend alone you can watch close to 20 ncaa matches.Check how much BTN+ costs,or track

You also get the UWW events..Schultz,Yargin,team trials ect.

Not including the 20 plus other sports they cover thats included in your membership
chuck
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 9:15am
Originally posted by lbdoinit lbdoinit wrote:

The PIAA can not be getting a ton of money here......viewership will go from few to almost none for the championships now....cutting off the nose.

I disagree.  Pretty sure this will result in more people watching, simply because of how many people probably already have Flo.  It'll probably cut down on the number of casual fans that would have watched on PCN, but overall I bet the number of people watching will be higher.

I don't know how many people paid for NFHS Network to watch in the past but I bet most of the people that did pay probably already had Flo.

For both team and individual, I wonder if they'll have commentators for matches besides the finals.
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 9:26am
Originally posted by MTLeister MTLeister wrote:

I think it is only "free" if you have a cable subscription that includes PCN, correct?  If you don't have cable or a cable plan with PCN, you could pay to watch events on their website.

Either way, I'm with oldcougar here... If Flo offered a monthly subscription, I'd get it.  But I completely understand why they don't offer it (too many people probably did the same as us).

Just curious to see how this goes over.  

PCN has a note on their website now about not having broadcast rights for wrestling.
sorry for the error -- I do get it kinda for free, but I'm getting my internet from a cable company and when I bailed on paying for cable television, they gave it to me for $10/month including Showtime and all the basic cable.  So all of my cable is cheaper than FLO.  Don't be afraid to negotiate with your cable service. They're desperate to keep you.  When I was the IT guy for Suburban Cable, I think they valued # of subscribers as much or more than they valued subscriber's monthly payments. It increased their net worth which was valued at $1000 per subscriber (back in the '80s).  They were sold for like 3 1/2 Billion, so they were right.

Edited by oldcougar - Jan 30 2019 at 9:36am
castelli3017 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelli3017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 9:28am
The problem with Flo's coverage is that they usually place an unmanned, stationary camera on most mats. That camera is focused on the center of the mat. So if you watch on Flo be prepared to miss lots of important action as it moves to the edge of the mat. Nothing better then spending all that $ to miss the deciding takedown in the Quarters or blood round
cradles2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cradles2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 9:54am
so this is starting right away? 
CoachReils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachReils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by castelli3017 castelli3017 wrote:

The problem with Flo's coverage is that they usually place an unmanned, stationary camera on most mats. That camera is focused on the center of the mat. So if you watch on Flo be prepared to miss lots of important action as it moves to the edge of the mat. Nothing better then spending all that $ to miss the deciding takedown in the Quarters or blood round

Agree that happens but that's the tournaments job to staff the tables. The higher end tournaments are better at getting more responsible camera operators (who remember to move camera) and I'm sure they will have legit coverage for finals and probably even a few announcers floating from mat to mat during the early session for the better matchups.

I for one love this as I cut the tie to cable years ago so No PCN and will now get better bang for my subscription buck. The NHSCA stream was horrible: never an announcer, wouldn't follow the action, cost was inflated. I agree It would be good if Flo offered an event price for PA residents

Nothing replaces being in the building! The added benefit is afterwards you can come back to hotel and watch matches you missed via archive on flo arena instead of trying to sift through enter stream like NHSCA would make you do. Also PCN only covered the Finals (AA & AAA) for a total of 28 matches.  Now you have access a couple hundred. 
Kevin Reilly / AW
“Eadem mutata resurgo” ~ Jacques Bernoulli
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 9:59am
Originally posted by cradles2001 cradles2001 wrote:

so this is starting right away? 

Yep, this year and I think I read somewhere that the contact was through the 2022 season.  So 4 years.
castelli3017 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castelli3017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 10:43am
Originally posted by CoachReils CoachReils wrote:

Originally posted by castelli3017 castelli3017 wrote:

Agree that happens but that's the tournaments job to staff the tables. The higher end tournaments are better at getting more responsible camera operators (who remember to move camera) and I'm sure they will have legit coverage for finals and probably even a few announcers floating from mat to mat during the early session for the better matchups.

I for one love this as I cut the tie to cable years ago so No PCN and will now get better bang for my subscription buck. The NHSCA stream was horrible: never an announcer, wouldn't follow the action, cost was inflated. I agree It would be good if Flo offered an event price for PA residents

Nothing replaces being in the building! The added benefit is afterwards you can come back to hotel and watch matches you missed via archive on flo arena instead of trying to sift through enter stream like NHSCA would make you do. Also PCN only covered the Finals (AA & AAA) for a total of 28 matches.  Now you have access a couple hundred. 

I hope thats the case. I know you get coverage of every match. I unfortunately let my membership on flo expire. Time to re-up. But as others have said, I would much prefer to subscribe monthly. Hopefully, I can actually get a kid up there so I can watch it all in person
pawrestling1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawrestling1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 11:23am
Let me start this off with my name is Dominick Petrucelli, for those who know me know that I am a tad younger than most of you on here. I have seen flo post about this now on multiple different social media platforms and all the responses have been similar to all of your thoughts on here “Pcn was free now we have to pay for the state tournament?!”, “flo charges too much”, “there is no 1 month subscrition or one time event charge” or the “they don’t man the cameras and we will miss all of the action on the edge of the mat.”

First off PCN is not free as some of you have state above, but on top of it the younger generations are staying away from cable (I have a bunch of friends that are still in college or ones recently who have been out of college working full time and none of them have cable). Going off of that, PCN only broadcasted the finals of team and individual tournaments (I believe, but could be wrong), now with Flo you will be able to watch all 8 mats live all tournament long for AA and AAA. Also fellas Flo is not that expensive. I believe it is $12.50 for a one month subscrition (yes contact their customer service number and they will do a month month subscrition just let them know your subscrition is soley for the PIAA team and individual tournemnts (the guys at flo are understanding and on top of it if you went to the tournament and paid for all the sessions of AA and AAA you would be paying more than for a month subscrition with flo). And lastly the complaint about no one manning the cameras.... yes this is the case at some of the bigger tournaments that use more mats (super 32, fargo, tulsa....), but from my experiences with flo tournaments with less mats and as tournament progresses and the significance of the rounds go higher they have someone there manning the cameras.

All in all I think this is a great movement for the PIAA and Flo to make this happen. It gives people in Pennsylvania the option to either go to the tournament or stay home and watch both events. Flo allows you to get text notifications for mat assignments and results making it much easier to navigate the tournament . And lastly it gives the fans out of state (who do not receive the PCN. Channe) and opportunity to watch likemyself here in Tennessee.

Again just my opinion everyone is entitled to there own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic