District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rankings coming tomorrow night

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rankings coming tomorrow night
    Posted: Jan 02 2019 at 4:52pm
Just an FYI note...

Our second set of rankings will be released tomorrow evening at approx. 7 PM.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2019 at 7:00pm
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
spandexter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spandexter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2019 at 7:38pm
Not meaning to be disrespectful but some of those rankers should check out the graduation list from Downingtown West from last year. Doug Zapf aint walking thru those doors...
charles View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2019 at 9:28am
Originally posted by spandexter spandexter wrote:

Not meaning to be disrespectful but some of those rankers should check out the graduation list from Downingtown West from last year. Doug Zapf aint walking thru those doors...

True. Looks like a rebuilding year for them. We'll see how they fare at the Rockyard Duals.

It really looks like Council Rock South like the only team who could win any matches in Hershey this year. Our No. 2 team getting taken out by Easton, who isn't ranked in the top 25 with 5 other District 11 teams in the top 13. Tough scene.
dicemen99 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicemen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2019 at 10:27am
Not much discussion on rankings at all.  Guess that means they are pretty good.

I'll get some started as the board has been pretty slow this year.

Top 4 are perfect although not sure if 3 people were aware that Hauserman beat Vulakh pretty convincingly last week but that's not a big deal.  Kinne should be ahead of Findora, as should Hershey who doesn't even get a vote (I guess I was his only one last week).  Won't matter pretty soon anyway.

Top 5 are perfect.  

Top 5 are perfect although McBride should not get any votes until he's back on the roster.  Not sure that Mendez should get any 1st place votes over Delaney but again not a big deal.

Tough call with the top 3.  I'd favor H/A over Lucerne, Lucerne over Jordan and Jordan picks up the neutral fall over H/A this week.  Anyway you want to argue it would be fine.
No disrespect to the Upper Darby kid, but he has losses to Carmona last year and has not wrestled anyone this year.  Viarengo should be 4th (although hasn't wrestled in a bit).  I'd call Moretti at 5th, with only losses being last second to Jordan and to a very tough SR on opening weekend.  Barlow also could be considered, looks like he is going to be good.  Chaclas, as well, but has not been competitive against his tougher opponents so I would have him 7th.

You could argue any of Celenza, Colella, Ricchini.  Not sure why Ricchini would be tied with Martin after dominating him on Wednesday night.  Colella a little inconsistent, but I could be swayed with arguments for any of them.  Then Martin, then Hodges is good, although Morrow has done well against a tougher schedule and could be argued for 5.

Another weight where you could argue any of the top 3.  Williams and Fuss have hardware.  McNair probably has been more impressive than Fuss early on and Williams just dropped.  Williams best hardware and best wins - he gets my vote.  But again, all 3 have merit.  Richie clearly next and then McGill is perfect.  Meredith and Kahn also deserving of mention, but top 5 are perfect.

Robinson's performance at Powerade certainly earns him the #1, although Tamburrino and Petrocelli will have something to say about it before it's over (all 3 at ETR). Woloshyn very strong performance in multiple tournaments (CV3, KOM1, HURR4-losing only to Farber and Delsignore from NY) definitely earns him top 4.  Stocku with a poor performance at Buckskin - maybe an outlier - has me with Sheffield ahead of him at the moment but that is arguable.

Very good weight, top 5 is perfect to me.  Vulakh has earned #1, Mancini should be #2 at this point, Barnhart has been very good early, Widing just won Hurricane and is 2-1 against Erb I think.  Maybe you could argue Widing over Barnhart, but they are pretty even this season and Barnhart went to states last yer.

Obvious # 1 in O'Neill then things get muddled.  I have Moser at #2 but it's kind of shaky.  Sheehy should be above Flanagan right now.  Sheehy just medalled at Powerade and Flanagan needs to be more consistent.  Plus Sheehy has beaten him in the past.  You could argue Lledo and Quinn anywhere from 2-6.  #1 is clear, then any of 5 kids in pretty much any order right now.

Hale clear #1 and I think Crawford is a good choice at #2.  Colajezzi has earned #3 but subpar performance at Hurricane - probably because he weighed in at 160 and is headed there shortly.  I had Smith as #1 earlier, but he did not look good at Hurricane and wondering if Milano is forcing him to a bad weight for him - anyway, he's got time to fix that.  But right now I would have Romanelli over him, but the top 5 are good.

Mousaw near unanimous as should be.  DiBernardo has earned the #2 ranking.  Eye test tells me that Milano is coming on and will challenge for #1, but he's good where he is right now. Mielnik with a nice performance at Trojan after dropping and should be 4.  Not sure why Novak is over Korbich except that some rankers like a shiny record (see 126) which means absolutely nothing when it's against a weak schedule.  No disrespect to the kid at all, as he can only wrestle who is in front of him but people need to look at who people have wrestled.  Last meeting between the two was a Korbich win.

Top 2 are perfect and probably have separated a bit at this point.  I would have Green next - he definitely should be ahead of Gilch, has placed ahead of him at every tournament so far although Gilch did MF out the last one.  Stolfi right there as well, you could argue any of those guys at 3,4 & 5.  The two AA guys merit consideration although the 3 AAA guys deserve to be ranked above them right now.  Gilgeous has not wrestled anyone so far and lost 4-2 to Stolfi last year.  Files has - went to Beast and Powerade - but hasn't garnered a win to get him over those guys.  He could at ETR.  7 good guys here.

What a mess, waiting on the return of Hunter Catka.  Ellis deserves to be 1 for now, and I think Pelham is #2.  No idea why DiSanto is #3 when Flynn handled him earlier this year at an event where Lee, Shivak and Fennell were all at and Lee and Shivak also performed better than him.  Flynn turns around an early season loss to Lee and also beats Shivak (who beat Lee earlier) so I think that pecking order right now behind Pelham should be Flynn, Shivak, Lee, DiSanto in that order.  Out of protest, I'm putting the Glen Mills kid who has nobody has heard of and no opponent has lasted into the 2nd with as 3rd.  Total flyer.

Deery is a clear #1 - medals at the Beast and is finalist at Hurricane.  No contest.  Lawal suffers from same problem as Gilgeous with no opportunity to beat anyone, but he did make it to Hershey last year and is good at #2.  Klewin pins Bramwell and Heiber winning Wetzel and earns #3, but my guess is that these last 3 spots will rotate among a handful of guys including Bramwell, Blevins, Lemmon-Kishi, etc. that all have wins over the other.  I'm not sure that beyond Deery or Lawal, we have anyone in the district not capable of being upset by a .500 wrestler.  Maybe Klewin.  Maybe I'm wrong, 285 seems pretty thin state-wide not just here.

Thoughts?  Arguments?

Edited by dicemen99 - Jan 04 2019 at 10:29am
charles View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2019 at 1:03pm
I'm not disputing the top 3 at 145, but Petrucelli has caught my eye lately. He majored the Fountain kid that knocked off Robinson earlier in the year. Coming in a freshman, Petrucelli wasn't lumped in the same group as Robinson/Tamburrino/Lucerne of that class but he's definitely worked his way into joining them in the upper echelon, if he's not there already.
dist1ranker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dist1ranker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2019 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by dicemen99 dicemen99 wrote:

Tough call with the top 3.  I'd favor H/A over Lucerne, Lucerne over Jordan and Jordan picks up the neutral fall over H/A this week.  Anyway you want to argue it would be fine.
No disrespect to the Upper Darby kid, but he has losses to Carmona last year and has not wrestled anyone this year.  Viarengo should be 4th (although hasn't wrestled in a bit).  I'd call Moretti at 5th, with only losses being last second to Jordan and to a very tough SR on opening weekend.  Barlow also could be considered, looks like he is going to be good.  Chaclas, as well, but has not been competitive against his tougher opponents so I would have him 7th.

This weight class is perplexing this year. I view it as talented but in need of refining. For whatever reason this weight hasn't been District 1's strongest the last couple years. There have been some head-scratching losses at the top of this weight, so while past results/accolades matter to some degree, the present makes it hard to distinguish who the top dog really is. It's a three-man race tho, and they'll get to battle it out two weeks in a row, unless of course any of them manage to drop. 
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2019 at 10:46pm
Is there any timeframe for Hunter Catka's slated return to action.
charles View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2019 at 7:32am
Catka... is back!
lbdoinit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbdoinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2019 at 12:21pm
Is he back or did he just accept a forfeit?
Cold iron shackles, ball and chain. Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train.
charles View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by lbdoinit lbdoinit wrote:

Is he back or did he just accept a forfeit?

Accepted a forfeit, but I can't imagine they trotted him out just to collect a win without being cleared.
lbdoinit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbdoinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2019 at 7:05pm
Great for the kid and great for District 1 if he is back and healthy, but then why not go at 220?

Edited by lbdoinit - Jan 09 2019 at 7:10pm
lbdoinit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbdoinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2019 at 8:41pm
Erb hasn't lost other than giving up FFTs...bumps up to 160 and takes down the #1 ranked O'Neil 7-2.

So, the 5th ranked 152 beat the top ranked 160...hmmmmmm
aiso65 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aiso65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2019 at 9:15pm
Erb also beat barnhart today at Souderton Duals... Tyler Williams teched Richie... Stolfi lost to Jameel Coles 3-2... Alot of good matches today at Souderton.
spandexter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spandexter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2019 at 9:44pm

Erb hasn't lost other than giving up FFTs...bumps up to 160 and takes down the #1 ranked O'Neil 7-2.

160 is not District 1s strongest, clearly.
lbdoinit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbdoinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2019 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by spandexter spandexter wrote:

160 is not District 1s strongest, clearly.

O'Neil took home a medal from Hershey last year
lbdoinit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbdoinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2019 at 9:55pm
FJ Logue takes it to WCH Delaney 14-5 if that score is right....very surprised.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic