PA-Wrestling.com
District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coverage for State Duals?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
PintoWin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PintoWin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2018 at 1:58pm
Yeah old Ram but they are only after the elite wrestlers not the average Joe or first year kid. They have Steve Harner on their staff now maybe D1 should be worried assuming we are part of your 8 billion
ancienthatteroldram View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by PintoWin PintoWin wrote:

Yeah old Ram but they are only after the elite wrestlers not the average Joe or first year kid. They have Steve Harner on their staff now maybe D1 should be worried assuming we are part of your 8 billion

If BECA now has Steve Harner on their staff- good for them. I just hope Steve is still nimble, athletic and well balanced enough to NOT fall from his perch on a chair's backrest.
 While I entertain lingering doubts regarding your genus, class and kingdom, my innate fairness compels me concede that  you are , thankfully are rather insignificant , "part of ... 8 billion" human inhabitants. You should not? be worried. Or as a seminal philosopher once stated- ""What Me Worry".

Davejjr View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davejjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2018 at 7:53pm
AHOR your insults are amazing, though weak, but the truth remains you use bogus numbers and make excuses for a team that has a pratically unlimited amount of wrestlers and cowers in the medium depth pool, as they did in the shallow end  before. They are afraid to swim with the big fish because they are not willing to work hard enough to win at that level.
5 son contributor
pb360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2018 at 8:32pm
Funny how everyone on this site will insult Preps, but then also insult BECA for not wanting to be Prep.
fanofwrestling View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofwrestling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2018 at 9:24pm
Dodfan is right. Its not a level playing field.  Our local school has about 900 students. We got to be one of the smallest in district 1. I dont have a problem with numbers but if i was able to go to the 2 neighboring school districts that border us our team would be a whole lot better. Schools like ours is forced to have kids who are new to wrestling in our varsity lineup. But hey at least we are filling a lineup. Took us a couple years to do that. 
You cant teach heart.!!!!!
ancienthatteroldram View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancienthatteroldram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2018 at 6:40am
Originally posted by fanofwrestling fanofwrestling wrote:

Dodfan is right. Its not a level playing field.  Our local school has about 900 students. We got to be one of the smallest in district 1. I dont have a problem with numbers but if i was able to go to the 2 neighboring school districts that border us our team would be a whole lot better. Schools like ours is forced to have kids who are new to wrestling in our varsity lineup. But hey at least we are filling a lineup. Took us a couple years to do that. 

When in Life is one ever confronted with a level playing field? If you are the smallest district in D1, perhaps your goal ought to be less emphasis and less concern on the "team" aspect of wrestling, and strive to develop the individual nature of our sport. One does not need "neighboring school districts" to produce champions. Perhaps a change of focus would suffice. I'll wager that some schools would be glad if they were "forced to have kids who are new to wrestling" on their team. Thanks for the work already accomplished, and Good Luck in the next steps developing the program. Better you should follow the advice of Dice and Ref, instead of the whining siren song of Dfan.
Davejjr View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davejjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2018 at 7:51am
Originally posted by pb360 pb360 wrote:

Funny how everyone on this site will insult Preps, but then also insult BECA for not wanting to be Prep.

Who insults Preps? I have no problem with the preps Malvern, Blair, Sem, and all are doing a great job and doing what is best for thier students. I almost sent two of my sons to preps/private and did go myself to one. Why would someone have a problem with a private /prep school? 

Edited by Davejjr - Feb 15 2018 at 7:54am
5 son contributor
Dodfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by ancienthatteroldram ancienthatteroldram wrote:

Originally posted by fanofwrestling fanofwrestling wrote:

When in Life is one ever confronted with a level playing field? If you are the smallest district in D1, perhaps your goal ought to be less emphasis and less concern on the "team" aspect of wrestling, and strive to develop the individual nature of our sport. One does not need "neighboring school districts" to produce champions. Perhaps a change of focus would suffice. I'll wager that some schools would be glad if they were "forced to have kids who are new to wrestling" on their team. Thanks for the work already accomplished, and Good Luck in the next steps developing the program. Better you should follow the advice of Dice and Ref, instead of the whining siren song of Dfan.

President Defender has a new talking point. "Life isn't fair, so it's o.k. for the PIAA not to be fair." 
Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
PintoWin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PintoWin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2018 at 10:21am
Its quiet obvious that The President of BECA fan club just likes to talk, but he is correct if the PIAA doesn't step up and make some changes the BECA fight song will continue to be sung by Elitist like the Old Ram

eas88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2018 at 11:52am
Love the hypocrisy. It was ok when Upper Perk won states back in the day and we ignore the fact they had to vacate their D1 championship a few years after that when they got caught. But mention BECA and its all wrong.    

Edited by eas88 - Feb 15 2018 at 11:52am
Dodfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by eas88 eas88 wrote:

Love the hypocrisy. It was ok when Upper Perk won states back in the day and we ignore the fact they had to vacate their D1 championship a few years after that when they got caught. But mention BECA and its all wrong.    

What your failing to realize is that in those days, there were no rules on transfers. Any team could have done what Upper Perk did. In fact the Nazareth team they squeaked by in 2006 had a bunch of transfers too. I'm not defending them morally but they played by the same rules everyone else did. 

Today, the PIAA has transfer rules for most schools. A student has to move into the school district to compete for a public school AND they still have to prove it wasn't athletically motivated. BECA has no rules. They just go out and get stud after stud with no repercussions. The student doesn't have to move. They have two starters that live in another state. They were both given automatic eligibility.

Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
dicemen99 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicemen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2018 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Dodfan Dodfan wrote:

Originally posted by eas88 eas88 wrote:

What your failing to realize is that in those days, there were no rules on transfers. Any team could have done what Upper Perk did. In fact the Nazareth team they squeaked by in 2006 had a bunch of transfers too. I'm not defending them morally but they played by the same rules everyone else did. 

Today, the PIAA has transfer rules for most schools. A student has to move into the school district to compete for a public school AND they still have to prove it wasn't athletically motivated. BECA has no rules. They just go out and get stud after stud with no repercussions. The student doesn't have to move. They have two starters that live in another state. They were both given automatic eligibility.

There were rules regarding transfers in place at that time and they were as haphazardly enforced as they are today.

In regards to stud after stud, please go to trackwrestling for a quick review of BECA's current roster.  A handful of JH studs - including the one from NJ that everyone is up in arms about, but is completely within the PIAA eligibility rules - but the vast majority were not wearing PJW medals around their necks.
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2018 at 2:59pm

This must be the strongest horse in existence, cause I thought it would be dead by now.
Mr.G. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2018 at 5:08pm
This argument will never go away. Back in the early 70's when I wrestled
in District 7, my Catholic school scored 4 Pennsylvania Catholic Interscholastic Athletic Association State Champions one year. The PCIAA (now long defunct) was 100% parochial schools and we got a lot of positive local press coverage. The public school coaches went ballistic. In those days in southwestern Pa, fist fights at wrestling matches were commonplace .
Mr.G.
mo bloodyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mo bloodyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2018 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Mr.G. Mr.G. wrote:

This argument will never go away. Back in the early 70's when I wrestled
in District 7, my Catholic school scored 4 Pennsylvania Catholic Interscholastic Athletic Association State Champions one year. The PCIAA (now long defunct) was 100% parochial schools and we got a lot of positive local press coverage. The public school coaches went ballistic. In those days in southwestern Pa, fist fights at wrestling matches were commonplace .

Fist fights would be way more entertaining than reading redundant posts with unnecessary big words.
fanofwrestling View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofwrestling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2018 at 11:32pm
I like the discussions. At least people are talking about wrestling. Sometimes nobody is talking and its boring. If you take away rankings and Beca and private vs public. What else are we left to discuss ? Weight class changes ??  Lets be careful what we wish for. 
You cant teach heart.!!!!!
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2018 at 11:51am
Just another perspective, from Scott Green coach at Wyoming Seminary

If you follow wrestling media closely and pay attention to the online undercurrent you are going to quickly encounter a huge dose of resentment toward private schools. I've tweeted about our experiences with this as a team. We are a prep school. We are a boarding school. We attract talent from all over the country and all over the world. We realize that this is different than most people's high school experience. Our team is different, our classrooms are different and our community is different. Different doesn't mean better. We make absolutely zero apologies for being who we are. It is exactly who we want to be and we are proud of it.

Our team is a unique mix of different kids. 37 strong. Some are highly rated wrestlers before they enroll. Some get here with decent credentials and explode when they are entrenched in our system. We value everyone equally. But this post is about a third group of kids.

Jake Hendricks, Benny Baker, Mike Doggett, Jake Stefanowicz, Connor Kievman and Jack Davis all qualified for Nat Preps this weekend. These guys have been wrestling on the same team for a very long time. Xcalibur Club and its predecessor Rock Solid. I'm not going to post the pictures to prove it. That would be silly. Before they came to Sem they benefited from the incredible influence of guys like Tom Traver, Rocky Bonomo, Will Weber and Andre Bartlett. People love to say "homegrown" as if programs like ours don't develop our kids. If you are angry with a kid who chooses a private school education, it says more about you than it does that kid.

Stef and Doggett get special mention here as both juniors won PAISWT titles this weekend. Both of these guys chose Sem knowing it was a strong possibility they might never start. Neither was a "recruitable" middle schooler. Stef might have been 6th or 7th at PJWs. Mike is only a few years removed from a bunch of Owens at National events. Both had to wait their turn to get in the lineup and both had to win multiple wrestle-offs to compete this weekend. They fought hard the past two years, they DEVELOPED, and now they are Prep State Champs. One more thing- for those who are going to diminish this accomplishment because PIAA is tougher- they BOTH placed at Powerade and Eastern States this year. Sorry- one more thing -and here is the real icing on the cake- both have 4.0+ GPAS, and both are well above 1400 on the SAT. Perhaps, just perhaps- their decision on where to go to high school was bigger than a wrestling decision. 

We are eternally grateful that all of our parents trust us enough to buy into the experience that Sem wrestling provides. It works because they have made an investment in what they believe to be the best pathway for their child's future. It might not be "right" for everyone, but it is clearly right for the 37 families in our program

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic