PA-Wrestling.com
District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To the Powers That Be: Please Read This Post!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
House1968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote House1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To the Powers That Be: Please Read This Post!
    Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 9:25pm
As many are looking forward to the State Championships at Hershey this weekend and some reflecting back...I personally was proud and honored to induct the first and only State Champion of Pennridge High School into the SE Hall of Fame. Myself also being the First to win a State Championship at my High School and also being a SE Hall of Fame member took it too a whole different level.

After Proudly watching Dan and RP Coach their Kids to Hershey ...I sat in the stands and a great friend came up and sat with me after his Nephew Jason Bing won an exciting match to qualify for states. We started joking about things and one of them that his brother was mentioned twice as being inducted to the SE Hall of Fame in the Regional Book...after laughing about it..i said "Your in the Hall right?" and he commented that he wasn't.....

I was instantly taken back to my junior year in High School after losing first round(back then you lost first round you were out-no wrestle backs!!). I remember this jacked fireplug pinning his first two opponents and beating his kid in the semi's 14-1....with no time left he lift's his kid up and bring his opponent to the mat...the head ref signals the match is over..suddenly the side judge comes running in and calls a "slam"!!!! as the kid lays there not moving....(unfortunately the kid nor his coach had the integrity to have him stand up and shake hands as there was no time left in the match and the winning wrestler was up 14-1) ....zero time left in the match....to boot ...had the match just ended without the slam call ...he would have gone on to wrestle an opponent that he wrestled at a christmas tourney that he majored!

The Reason for my post is that there is not a more deserving individual in District one history south of a state championship medal than Dan Bing!!! I personally won a state championship ...went 35-0 in my senior year..i am a SE Hall member and I personally as well as others consider Dan Bing an equal through and through...no questions asked ....had he not been called for a BS slam he would have won a state championship AND would have been and easy selection as OW...Hell...He only was OW at sections...Districts AND Regions AND was well on his way to the same at Hershey!!! The "Old Guard" knows how good he was and how deserving he was!

To boot when the dirtbag that layed on the mat to take his BS win..the entire place erupted in BOOS!!! the kid that layed on the mat's response??? "double birds to 3,000 ravenous educated fans!!!"(really was hurt bad)

Dan Bings Resume looks like this:

Career Record: 94-5-1

3X Sectional Champ
2X Distric Champ(1X Runner-Up)
2X Regional Champ(1X3rd place)
3X State Qualifier

Remember when you lost first round at states you couldn't wrestle back:

Soph Year at States: (lost to Mike Dinardo Upper St. Claire 2-1; Mike went onto take 3rd)
Junior Year at States: (lost to Danny McIntyre 4-3; he went onto take 2nd)
Senior Year: (pinned first opponent,Pinned second opponent, semi's winning 14-1 with no time left get's called for a slam...wrestled the other finalist in xmas final and majored him) Had the testicle fortitude not seen by many to actually have the character and integrity to NOT throw int he towel but to wrestle back and actually take third ..Beat Owen Hibbard 4-1 then beat Glenn Kepick 16-5 to take Third)

Dan Bings Medal Shines as Golden as Mine ...He Clearly belongs in the SE Hall of Fame hands down and his induction would actually make it more legit!!

My own two cents!

John Rittenhouse

updigger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote updigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 9:36pm
sounds like a no brainer to me!!!
House1968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote House1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 10:11pm
Agreed!
bug14k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bug14k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 10:17pm
Please submit to Mr. Ralph Wetzel for Hall of Fame consideration next year, I will do the same, thanks for the nomination...hope to see you in Hershey!

first 2 wins
House1968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote House1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 10:28pm
I will...Thank You for pointing me in the right direction! Cheers!
lbdoinit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbdoinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 10:33pm
Great story. I'm not sure of criteria to get the HOF nod, but that looks awfully good.
Chocolate Street Lamp Covers
House1968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote House1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 10:44pm
IBdoinit: Criteria??? Please don't take this personal...It's how passionate I am about my post....Pin...Pin...14-1....had he faced the finalist he majored him in December...Not many can claim that as well as OW's all the way through.

He graduated in 86' and how many runner-ups and less have been inducted?

He never lost a dual meet in his career nor season tourny! How many can claim that?

lbdoinit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbdoinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 10:49pm
House.... I don't have a vote, if I did, I'd vote him in.
Chocolate Street Lamp Covers
fanofwrestling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofwrestling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 10:51pm
SOunds like a good candidate.
You cant teach heart.!!
House1968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote House1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 10:52pm
Thanks! I appreciate that...I would love nothing more than to see him and his family given the due respect! Cheers!
Don Seeley View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Seeley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 11:32pm
John... I often talk about that match, being it was wrestled right in front of me on media row at the old Hersheypark Arena.

Pound for pound, Bing was among the best in the district and state in 1986 and was "robbed" of advancing to the state final. He opened with a tech fall over Moon's Frank Bonura, and followed with a second-period tech fall over St. Mary's John Weisner. Then came the shocker - against Bethlehem Catholic's Dave Foley, who was among the favorites to win it at all at 98 pounds. The entire arena erupted in boos when the officials called the illegal slam - and I don't think too many of the fans missed Foley's reaction, either.

I immediately went back into the hallway under the arena as Bing listened to his coach talk to who I think was a PIAA administrator about the call. At no time did Bing or his coach lose their head during that conversation - but as a bystander it was difficult to see how disheartened he actually was.

But like you said, he didn't allow the disappointment to stop him. He came back with a 1-1, 4-0 OT decision of Conestoga's Owen Hibberd (who would finish fifth), and dominated Emmaus' Glenn Kepic, 16-6, for the third-place medal.

Being a three-time state qualifier and 94-5-1 in your career during that particular era was quite an accomplishment, too. If he had the opportunity to compete in the number of tournaments and duals offered today, and was fortunate to compete at states with the double-elimination format of today, there's no telling how much more impressive his career numbers would've been.

Like it was mentioned earlier, make sure you get your nomination to Ralph Wetzel or Dennis Kellon - I don't think anyone would vote "NO" for Frank Bing.

And on a personal note - great to see you Saturday night John!
atrain31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atrain31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 11:37pm
John, you're very familiar with a runner up who has not been inducted. He was a teammate of yours, 3x state qualifier, runner up, division 1 wrestler at Duke, and as head coach transformed a program that forfeited 7 weights in 94-95 into a state and national power and arguably the best program in District 1 history. He just inducted his assistant coach who had a 5th place finish at states. Yep, Tom Hontz is not in the SE hall of fame.
Is this a real forum?
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Don Seeley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 12:07am
Tom Hontz is also the ONLY COACH I know of who is well past 300 career wins and NOT in the state hall of fame, either.

I'd say rather appalling.
House1968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote House1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 8:01am
@ Anthony: Agreed!

@ Don: #1- Great seeing you too and If you introduce yourself to me again I will throw legs and power half you!!! ;-)

#2 Spot on with being robbed....99.9% win or lose because of themselves ...Dan was the exception.

#3 There were two people I was in awe of as a peer. 1. Chris Kwortnik 2. Dan Bing's State run

Looking forward to seeing some great wrestling this week!

Cheers to Everyone!
DSSR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Don Seeley Don Seeley wrote:

Tom Hontz is also the ONLY COACH I know of who is well past 300 career wins and NOT in the state hall of fame, either.

I'd say rather appalling.

When you stand back and look at D-1 wrestling with all it's facts, figures and history. When you put aside all the biases, rivalries, jealousies and look objectively, Coach Hontz should be in Hall of Fame. His 2005-2006 team with it's unruly fans was hated everywhere it went. They were like modern day Vikings, conquering gyms everywhere - especially Boyertown!

just an average wrestling fan
Don Smith Sr
Family First!
House1968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote House1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 9:25am
Somebody told me the fans from Quakertown in the 80's were pretty bad...Never noticed it though. ;-)

I Thought Tom was in the Hall...Show's you how much I pay attention. And again...I agree he should be there at least as a coach!

Don: You didn't address your fear of the legs and power half! :-)
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Seeley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 9:40am
Fear of legs and the power half ??? Are you kidding me ... I have a fear of accidentally stepping on a wrestling mat.

Other than that gym class experience I spoke of earlier on another thread, here's why:

Back in the mid-80s, while watching a girls lacrosse game at Spring-Ford, John White (Seislove's buddy from the old days) got a hold of me, thew a peterson on me, and I thought my legs were in Phoenixville and arms were in Pottstown. I told him he had 10 seconds to let me go or I'd give him a left haymaker that would've sent him directly to Uranus (actually his Uranus).

Early 90s, while walking through the old Spring-Ford practice room to pick up my daughter after school, the team's 103-pounder (Miten Mehta) got a hold of me and tried to take me down. With the little (if any) knowledge I had and still have, being that I doubled his weight I did an amateur spladle ... and little did I know, after feeling a pain in my big toe and not being able to handle the pain for two days, got it checked and here it was broken.

See why I have so much respect for wrestlers? That's why my only remaining goal is to get Harner on the golf course - for a round of golf, that is!
nateheckenberger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nateheckenberger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 10:58am
Old Leister might get elected if he's not careful with all the nice work he's doing on this site...
www.hecksports.photoreflect.com, www.nateheckenbergerphoto.com
House1968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote House1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 11:08am
Don....No...No...No...You never post anything about a 103lber breaking your toe! That is discussed only in the most safest environments of friends! LOL!

MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by nateheckenberger nateheckenberger wrote:

Old Leister might get elected if he's not careful with all the nice work he's doing on this site...

Despite the "old" remark...you are too kind.  But there are far too many wrestlers and coaches to consider before anyone with a website...
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic