District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Joe Galasso

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joe Galasso
    Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 5:32pm
I know he's not district 1 or SE region anymore but this kid deserves some recognition for is performance today Powerade.

He lost his semi-final bout to Zain Retherford of Benton 5-3 in OT.  Retherford is ranked #1 in the country.  Retherford is NHSCA Junior Nation Champ, US Cadet champ, and World FILA Cadet Champ. He is committed to Penn State. 

But Retherford had almost more than he could handle with Joe Galasso.  It was a terrific bout and the last 30 seconds of the 3rd period was magic.

Watch this one:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/250000-Flomajor-10-2012-Powerade/video/674811-138-lbs-semi-finals-Zain-Retherford-Benton-vs-Joe-Galasso-Father-Judge 
caa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 6:36pm
 Galasso really looked  good  and had Retherford off-balance for much of the match.   Great scramble to finish the 3rd.   Looks like Retherford needs to red shirt next year.
losers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote losers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 6:57pm
Galasso did look real good but why do you say Zain need to red shirt next year?
caa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 7:04pm
3rd place   Joe Galasso (4) (Father Judge)  8-3 over     Josh Maruca  (3)(Franklin Regional)

Other than Luke Pletcher  (Latrobe High School freshman  No. 2 in the country by Amateur Wrestling News)  not being seeded; seeds were very good.
caa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 7:23pm
Retherford will not step into Penn State's starting lineup next year without a go to takedown
losers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote losers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 7:49pm
I thought he just used a go to takedown in that match. Zain is alot like mcdonough of iowa he wears every opponent down and has an unbreakable will. He is not athletic and not flashy but an x factor, he refuses to lose. Jimmy gulibon had a pretty good go to take down in HS but didn't help him get a starting spot. Neutral position defense is so good in college, Zanes mat wrestling will take him pretty far. just my oponion. Interesting link about psu tho.
C Mart View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Mart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by oldcougar oldcougar wrote:

I know he's not district 1 or SE region anymore but this kid deserves some recognition for is performance today Powerade.

He lost his semi-final bout to Zain Retherford of Benton 5-3 in OT.  Retherford is ranked #1 in the country.  Retherford is NHSCA Junior Nation Champ, US Cadet champ, and World FILA Cadet Champ. He is committed to Penn State. 

But Retherford had almost more than he could handle with Joe Galasso.  It was a terrific bout and the last 30 seconds of the 3rd period was magic.

Watch this one:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/250000-Flomajor-10-2012-Powerade/video/674811-138-lbs-semi-finals-Zain-Retherford-Benton-vs-Joe-Galasso-Father-Judge 
OC Thanks for the link. Great match there. 
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.
SixStringer View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixStringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by losers losers wrote:

I thought he just used a go to takedown in that match. Zain is alot like mcdonough of iowa he wears every opponent down and has an unbreakable will. He is not athletic and not flashy but an x factor, he refuses to lose. Jimmy gulibon had a pretty good go to take down in HS but didn't help him get a starting spot. Neutral position defense is so good in college, Zanes mat wrestling will take him pretty far. just my oponion. Interesting link about psu tho.
Are you saying that Gulibon is not starting at 133 because he couldn't win the spot? or could it be that he is just redshirting which is typical for many freshman? My guess is he is simply redshirting..
losers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote losers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 9:45pm
I am not sure if he was ready or not, i do know Mason beckman put up more points on him in one match than he probably gave up in his whole high school career.  my guess is he wasn't ready. Jimmy didn't spend much of his time mat wrestling at derry, remember he was a take down machine. My point was Zanes style will translate well in college because his hand fighting skills and mental toughness are very advanced.Same with Joey Galasso.
SixStringer View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixStringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by losers losers wrote:

I am not sure if he was ready or not, i do know Mason beckman put up more points on him in one match than he probably gave up in his whole high school career.  my guess is he wasn't ready. Jimmy didn't spend much of his time mat wrestling at derry, remember he was a take down machine. My point was Zanes style will translate well in college because his hand fighting skills and mental toughness are very advanced.Same with Joey Galasso.

Let us not forget that Beckman is also a multiple PA state champ and has spent an entire season in a D1 college wrestling room and competiting at the D1 level.  It makes a HUGE difference. Beckman is redshirting this year and is wrestling very well. I suspect Gulibon would be fine starting this year. But with conaway in the room, it gives penn state the option to redshirt him. However, if PSU thinks they need more points at 133 to win the big ten or NCAAs I wouldn't be surprised if they pull his shirt.

caa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 11:11pm
 The point of hand fighting is to set up a takedown.   Zain's chances of throwing a high level D1 wrestler with an underhook are slim and none.   Red-shirting allows wrestlers to adjust to a much higher level of competition and campus life.  The toll of matching up against elite competition on a daily basis can becomes a grind in college.  Distribution of scholarships may  be factor.

Gulibon is the best Penn State 133 lb, but he might only score 2-3 points at nationals this year; Conaway the same.  But Gulibon the 5th year senior is a major national champ contender.  I am sure the coaching staff looks at the big picture.  Speculation from alleged insiders is that the Altons will be suspended for 1 month.

cbal24 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbal24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 11:15pm
Galasso wrestled the best day I've seen him have today. He gave Retherford his toughest challenge in the tournament.

The matches he won in the consies were tough and he really shined in the third place match. Any time you place higher than your seed, it's a job well done.
losers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote losers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 11:39pm
Zain actually uses a russian tie and I am convinced he will have continued success with it in college. And hand fighting is also used to wear an opponent down to set up scoring later in a close match like most of his matches. He has a pretty good coaching staff that I am sure are well aware of what it takes to prepare him to step into Penn States line-up.His go to move is whatever his opponent gives him when he is into his oppenent. Zain just recently improved on his feet the last few seasons through free style competition.  And if that speculation is true about the Altons what do you think that is adequate punishment?
losers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote losers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 11:46pm
Josh Shields did a great job beating Milonas from Blair. This just shows how good Galasso is, I think Joey has 2 wins against him a states last year. I know it was last year but still impressive.
NathanMP View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NathanMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2012 at 8:53am
Congrats joe hard works pays off
patriot1776 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patriot1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2013 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by caa caa wrote:

Retherford will not step into Penn State's starting lineup next year without a go to takedown

He must of found oneBig smile
be informed infowars
NCAARef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 12:17pm
Guess Retherford found at least one go to TD in a month or so in the PSU room

Beat Dippery -Rutgers 10-0
Beat Bienstock - Cornell Fall
Beat Krop - Princeton 6-3
Beat Stasenko - Rutgers  TF
Beat Switzer - Lehigh Fall (Switzer beat Ashnult - Rutgers 7-5 and Beitz PSU 5-3)
C Mart View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Mart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 5:35pm
Hellava run there, talk about gaining confidense early. Nicely done.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.
patriot1776 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patriot1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 7:28pm
Yea, I guess all of his points came from back points since he doesn't have a go to takedown.LOL Lol!
be informed infowars
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic