District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boyertown vs UP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Davejjr View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davejjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boyertown vs UP
    Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 4:05pm
Predictions?

I see a dbl digit difference.

Big%20smile
5 son contributor
bburychka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bburychka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 4:30pm
There will be live updates of the match tonight.  Check out the D1 homepage later for the link to the live updates page.
www.PA-D1wrestling.com
bburychka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bburychka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 8:27pm
Boyertown clinches the match at 160lbs with Heffner's major decision over Emmons.
www.PA-D1wrestling.com
Davejjr View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davejjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 10:20pm
Clap     Boyertown

Cry       UP

Overall a match that went pretty much as expected.  Even though UP got the toss and all the match ups.

Edited by Davejjr - Dec 23 2007 at 12:07am
5 son contributor
atrain31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atrain31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2007 at 2:55am
Dave - you expected Macminn to beat McStravick, Jones to beat Pompei, and the 160 to beat Emmons?  Please give me your lottery numbers for next week.

I'm not kidding myself, so don't kid yourself.  Neither team is what we are used to.  Boyertown has a few lower and middleweights and no upperweights, UP has a few lower and upperweights but no middleweights, and neither team has more than 3-4 kids that should expect to make regionals.  

Congrats to Boyertown.  But after watching tonight's "display" of wrestling, I hope that SF pulls it off against both teams and proves that the Pac=10 has a true contender this year.

Is this a real forum?
monkeyBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeyBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2007 at 6:38am
I would have given a slight edge to McStravick over McMinn...since he's got the experience.  Jones/Pompei...figured as a tossup when they both went out.  Don't know Pompei's experience from junior high though.  160 match...knowing Heffner's junior high accomplishments I figured he had a decent shot to beat Emmons though Emmons has more hs varsity experience.  Didnt shock me that Heffner won at all..

Overall, you're right though atrain...not the same level as we've come to expect between the two teams but still fun nonetheless.  The score easily could have been reversed and most people probably wouldn't have been shocked by it.
Shock the Monkey!
Davejjr View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davejjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2007 at 8:12am

Maybe you should have done more homework.   EVERYONE I talked to thought 30 - 60 was ours, it was just could enough points be scored to hold off  71 - hwt.  I thought if the matchups went right we could get one of the uppers also.  Pre match I had us winning 7 you winning 3 with 4 toss ups and one of those almost def ours.  To me you won all 3 of the tossups.

5 son contributor
Davejjr View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davejjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2007 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by atrain31 atrain31 wrote:

Dave - you expected Macminn to beat McStravick, Jones to beat Pompei, and the 160 to beat Emmons?  Please give me your lottery numbers for next week.

I'm not kidding myself, so don't kid yourself.  Neither team is what we are used to.  Boyertown has a few lower and middleweights and no upperweights, UP has a few lower and upperweights but no middleweights, and neither team has more than 3-4 kids that should expect to make regionals.  

Congrats to Boyertown.  But after watching tonight's "display" of wrestling, I hope that SF pulls it off against both teams and proves that the Pac=10 has a true contender this year.

First of all, I rarely gamble and never on the daily numbers.
Secondly, I never said either team was what it was, I mean UP is down to two transfers and both of them ACTUALLY live in the district.
Third, I believe Btown should have 3 go to States, just like last year.  Regionals, my thinking is 5.  As for "true" contender speak for yourself.  We like our chances.

Lastly, I was just wondering why you guys have a problem with the takedowns called.  According to the rule book, they were all takedowns.  Hips were covered and control maintained.  While you might have thought it was quick, I just thought the UP kid reversed really fast.  The refs hand was barely up when he started his move.  The point, though, is that, that hold was being questioned all nite by UP and I really dont understand why. 

As for the funniest thing, I cracked up when Ritter starting yelling at the Ref for giving Btown a stalling call.  He must of forgotten what color he was, but it was funny when he finally figured it out, his look was priceless.

5 son contributor
atrain31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atrain31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2007 at 10:07pm
About the stalling call, the ref held up green but called stalling on UP (Hale).  That was when Rodgers was laying flat on the mat with both elbows tucked to his sides.  If it was against BT, Hale would have gotten a point, which he didn't.

I spoke to a few BT staff members (not coaches, but they were on the floor and in BT shirts) after the match and they said that the win at 140 was a shocker for them based on every previous match from this season.  The UP junior high coach also said that the BT 140 was pinned by every UP kid that wrestled him the past two years.

You really had Macminn as a definite win over McStravick?  We didn't have a problem with the "takedowns" being called, it was just with the "takedown" that gave Macminn the match.  It was one continuous motion with McStravick coming out on top.   A comparison could be wrestler A going for a flying cement job and the ref giving the other guy a TD while A is on his back and then a reversal when he flips him over the next second.  You see plenty of called takedowns that are waived off when the wrestler doesn't have full control.  Macminn did not have full control for that one.

Before the match, I thought UP was favored at 112, 125, 135, 160, 171, 189, 215, and 275 and the only toss up at 140..  If they wrestled the same lineup again, I'd say 135, 140, and 160 are toss ups and think UP would win at least one of the three.  However, I don't think either team will meet again unless it is an early duals match or wrestleback.

If BT won the toss, not much would have changed except for which BT wrestler beat McStravick at 130 or 135.

Is this a real forum?
Davejjr View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davejjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2007 at 11:32pm

140 only started wrestling in 7th grade and came up the Sr High in 9th (It seems remarkable your Jr high coaches would remeber him) and lost to Shane Smith.  Last year sat behind Soupik and Speilman all year.  The coaches wanted a major from him and were disapointed with the outcome.  I dont know what person was in a Btown shirt you were talking to but I they are not involved in the team. 

McMinn is quick as you saw.  He should never had tried to hold down McStravick.  If he had just cut him to start with the score would have been a bigger spread.

As for your comment about a rematch with CRN, we didnt have our full lineup
either. 

If we won the toss I think there would have been quite a few changes, expecially up top.  Once it was over there was no point to make any changes.

We were green.
5 son contributor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic