PA-Wrestling.com
District 1 High School Wrestling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Waterway Round 1 matches D1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eseer1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eseer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waterway Round 1 matches D1
    Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 10:52pm
Robinson v. Tamburrino
Hershey v. Giampetro
Link v Burke
Shaw v. Barnhart
Hodges v. Matheus
Lledo v. Feldman

Baby78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baby78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 2:29pm
Are results being posted anywhere?
WrestleDad65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WrestleDad65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 10:27am
How is nobody talking about John Klewin, of bensalem, pinning the #5 kid in the country?
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by WrestleDad65 WrestleDad65 wrote:

How is nobody talking about John Klewin, of bensalem, pinning the #5 kid in the country?

Didn't see the result, who did he pin?
dicemen99 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicemen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by NCAARef NCAARef wrote:

Originally posted by WrestleDad65 WrestleDad65 wrote:

Didn't see the result, who did he pin?

He beat Colby Whitehill from Brookville.  

Off the top of my head I think six top 10 kids in the country went down yesterday.

Whitehill - he may have lost twice, not sure, maybe to Jalen Stephens as well
Sam Hillegas - lost twice yesterday, once to an incoming freshman
Eddie Ventresca - lost to Will Betancourt, Lucerne also almost got him, but Ventresca got 3 late points to win. Lucerne with a nice day yesterday beating Delaney and Nate Smith.
Lenny Pinto - I think he got hammered by Nick Delp
Deshawn Farber - I think he might have lost twice as well.
Peyton Hall - but he lost to another nationally ranked kid

I think Cam may have lost yesterday to a kid from NY and he was in the top 10 at one time, so you could argue seven.  

This happens every year down there, there are tons of good kids, the matches come rapid fire, kids come in in varying degrees of conditions given that it's the first week of September, and varying degrees of "give a sh#t."  When kids lose down there, I generally don't give much credence to the loss, but more pay attention to the kid who got the win - it's not like a kid like Sam Hillegas suddenly isn't going to be in the state finals this year.  It usually means the winner is someone to be watched.  For instance, I didn't see it, but I think Pat Noonan got majored by Adam Jacob yesterday.  The Pat Noonan that wrestled at ETR last year isn't putting up that kind of performance and I'll bet he won't be doing it this year at ETR and in postseason.  But Adam Jacob is a pretty good wrestler that not many people pay much attention to and maybe this year they should.  A couple of years ago I saw him take Ryan Crookham to the wall down there.

I would say that Klewin has announced himself as a contender for the title this year - he is a really, really big man and has put some time in - but I think I saw the PIAA AAA state titleist at 285 for 2020 there yesterday, although he wasn't wrestling, just watching his brother.  He's from D1 also, and he said he was about 230 (or 240, I forget) and he looked every pound of it.  Looked like a beast.  But Klewin can do very well this year.  

Jamie Canaday has done a phenomenal job down there in Oxford building this into one of the top offseason events in the country.  The top teams are always full of studs that can wrestle with anyone in the country.  Also, there are tons of exhibitions going on that are great.  We had Angel Garcia wrestle Joey Milano yesterday - great match, tons of action but little scoring, Garcia taking it 1-0, very evenly matched kids, Angel a little slicker than Milano right now, Milano a little bigger and more horsepower.  One of the top 8th graders in the state this year in Bekhruz Sadriddinov taking on Christian Hodges - Hodges had a very good day yesterday - in an entertaining match.  Stuff like that going on. 

ETR had a team in yesterday, and although I've had teams with better finishes down there, it was easily our most satisfying year.  Six out of our 12 starters have never wrestled varsity in the postseason - including two kids going into 8th grade - and we lost our first match 28-20 before reeling off 3 wins in a row to reach the consy finals (5th place match). Really tough to do down there.  Of course we had some good veterans as well.  Kyle Waterman had a nice day going 4-0 at 120 including a good win over Chase Liardi from NY, and AJ Tamburrino went 4-0 as well with a good win over the kid from NY who went on to upset Cam the next round.  Davis Lee won us a match that went down to the wire with a win over a Cadet runnerup.

I highly recommend those of you who have not been to this event, to take the trip south next year.  It is one of the top events of the year in our district.

Edited by dicemen99 - Sep 09 2019 at 2:10pm
cbal24 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbal24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 1:59pm
Another thing that is nice about the event is that you typically don't see line-up adjustments made to win the dual.  Instead, you see adjustments made to get top level matches.
Win or lose, do it with class!
dicemen99 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicemen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2019 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by cbal24 cbal24 wrote:

Another thing that is nice about the event is that you typically don't see line-up adjustments made to win the dual.  Instead, you see adjustments made to get top level matches.

Exactly.  We probably could have won our first match by throwing Angel Garcia out there at 189, but the right matchup was Giani Gilch and the resulting match was a 1 point bout which was perfect, instead of a mismatch.  Earlier in the match, the opposing coach had sat RJ Jack against us, which gave Mo Saddridinov a quality match against a good opponent instead of having a top 5 kid in the country go against a kid who will have a varsity spot for the first time this year.  That guy gets it and we returned the favor.  As do most of the guys who bring teams down there.

Edited by dicemen99 - Sep 09 2019 at 2:09pm
Hodgesck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hodgesck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 5:14pm
The two Lower Merion wrestlers went undefeated on the day, Hodges went 5-0 and Lledo went 4-0
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 1:32am
dicemen99 as always thank you for your tremendous breakdown of the action imo you are the best in the business.
dicemen99 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicemen99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2019 at 3:31pm
Waterway results are now posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic