FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite AAA State Final

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite AAA State Final
    Posted: Jun 27 2019 at 4:15pm
I thought 1987 was chucked full of great wrestlers & exciting matches.
Of course with three D1 guys getting golds was another reason.
T_luke_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_luke_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2019 at 9:30pm
Scott Parker vs Luke Pletcher was a match that comes to mind 
JVStateChamp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JVStateChamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2019 at 10:18pm
Brad Silimperi v Ty Moore 1989 112 lbs, I think.
Unless you continually work, evolve and innovate you'll learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has.
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2019 at 11:33pm
1969  Jon Chatman, Trinity vs Wade Shalles, Hollidaysburg    Amazing
1987  Dan Finacchio, North Penn vs Joey Wildasin, South Western   Shootout
2002  Matt Ciasulli, Easton vs Brian Sticca, Greensburg Salem   Got a standing O

of course:
1988  Melvin Crosby, Erie Academy vs Tim Samec, West Hazleton  wrestlemania
Part Two:

sorry, only 1 D1 guy 

Edited by oldcougar - Jun 28 2019 at 8:11am
lbdoinit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbdoinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2019 at 12:40am
2005 Mike Rappo vs. Brad Pataky. Most of the arena, including the announcers couldn’t see Pataky losing.
Cold iron shackles, ball and chain. Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train.
Dodfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2019 at 8:03am
Just going off matches I saw live. I would put them in this order
2002: Matt Ciassuli (Easton)/Brian Sticca (Greensburg Salem)
2015: A.C. Headlee (Waynesburg)/Luke Pletcher (Greater Latrobe)
2004: Nick Guida (Parkland)/Nate Rock (Ephrata)
Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2019 at 8:07am
Originally posted by lbdoinit lbdoinit wrote:

2005 Mike Rappo vs. Brad Pataky. Most of the arena, including the announcers couldn’t see Pataky losing.

You're right. One of the best, and it was a shocking win for Rappo. 

In fact, I posted this one to Youtube many moons ago:
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2019 at 8:30am
Originally posted by oldcougar oldcougar wrote:

1969  Jon Chatman, Trinity vs Wade Shalles, Hollidaysburg    Amazing
1987  Dan Finacchio, North Penn vs Joey Wildasin, South Western   Shootout
2002  Matt Ciasulli, Easton vs Brian Sticca, Greensburg Salem   Got a standing O

of course:
1988  Melvin Crosby, Erie Academy vs Tim Samec, West Hazleton  wrestlemania
Part Two:

sorry, only 1 D1 guy 

OC

Great choices, the Shalles vs Chatman bout was sort of a coming out party for Wade.

I would add as my favorite D1 final, Chris Kwortnick vs Kevin Smith of Northampton in 1989.  Both were undefeated going into the bout, and Smith had a few things to say about how he would do against Chris. Suffice it to say Chris humiliated and physically beat him up, the bout ending in a TF at 6:00.  I definitely think Chris could have pinned him several different times had chosen to.  Something I should have asked him.  Chris was voted the OW.

A personal favorite, I officiated the bout, was from 1986, Tim Wittman St. Mary's vs Tim Ellison Hopewell. Whitman was down 10-1 after the first period, having been thrown twice for 5 pts sandwiched around an escape.  Wittman came back to win 14-13, scoring 2 NF in the final 5 seconds.

Other D1 notables:

1982 Marc Sodano Souderton vs Scott Pifer State College a 16-11 shootout
1998 Mark Conley v Mike Pirozzola
2005 Chris Sheetz vs Rick Rappo
2010 Jamie Callendar vs Andre Petroski

Edited by NCAARef - Jul 01 2019 at 8:32am
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2019 at 11:44am

ref:  that one was painful to watch.

started out like a match an ended like a torture chamber.

re: Shalles vs Chatman  ---- that's one that had to be taken within its context. Chatman was the returning state champ. He was a middle weight class state champ as a sophomore and that kind of thing almost never happened back then. Most people thought his winning would be a lock. He won again as a Senior, and was an EIWA Champ, so the kid was pretty darn good. 

otoh, Shalles was this goofy looking guy few had heard of. I did some DP business with his HS coach the following year and he told me that Shalles' win was no fluke. A year later, I believed him.

Here's the end of that bout:

Don't you just love the internet?
How good was Wade Shalles? When he won his first NCAA title, he pinned the #1, #3, and #5 kids. (He was seeded #4)

Edited by oldcougar - Jul 01 2019 at 12:16pm
drewma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drewma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2019 at 8:20am
Austin carter over Robby waltko was my favorite giving crs a share of the team title and the announcers didn't even know how big the pin was and why everyone from CRS was going crazy its on YouTube. 2005
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2019 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by drewma drewma wrote:

Austin carter over Robby waltko was my favorite giving crs a share of the team title and the announcers didn't even know how big the pin was and why everyone from CRS was going crazy its on YouTube. 2005

here's the video:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic