FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dick DiBatista - 1920-2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dick DiBatista - 1920-2020
    Posted: Mar 24 2020 at 8:48pm
Was just notified about this tonight...  

Dick DiBatista, a wrestling legend who graduated from Lower Merion HS in 1938, recently passed away at the age of 99.

Here's a brief summary of his incredible wrestling career taken from his obituary:

Dick was a distinguished athlete in football, track and wrestling.  Certainly, wrestling was his best sport, as he never lost a wrestling match, posting a remarkable undefeated 137-0 career record that included high school, prep school, college and amateur competition.  He became the first Pennsylvania State Wrestling Champion in 1938 and National Prep School Champion in 1939.  As a Penn wrestler, Dick or "DiBi", as he was known, was arguably the most accomplished wrestler in Quaker history.  With an undefeated record, he won the EIWA Championship in 1941, 1942, and 1943 and captured the NCAA Championship in 1941 and 1942.  Dick was on the 1940 and 1944 Olympic teams, although the Games were not held because of WWII.  During the War, Dick served as 2nd Lieutenant in the Marines and was stationed in the South Pacific.

Edited by MTLeister - Mar 24 2020 at 8:48pm
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2020 at 9:19pm
Stud
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2020 at 9:44pm

Dick DiBatista was a top official when I knew him. He reffed the EIWA duals and championships, the NCAA tourney (somewhere there is a youtube video from the 1962 finals with Dick reffing).  But he loved to ref high school wrestling as well. 

Dick officiated the biggest District 1 meet of the 60's, when Upper Darby's 53 dual meet win streak was ended by Springfield in 1962, 21-20.  He reffed a lot of my dual meets, so I was very familiar with him.  

Dick DiBatista holds a place as one of the GOAT's of District 1. His record speaks for itself. And even as a ref, 20 years after he wrestled, he was slapped together. Big shoulders and arms, cat-like quickness on the mat. And the matches were always about the wrestlers, never about him. He was a heck of a guy.

NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2020 at 9:33am
Amen OC. He was also very helpful to young officials

Originally posted by oldcougar oldcougar wrote:

Dick DiBatista was a top official when I knew him. He reffed the EIWA duals and championships, the NCAA tourney (somewhere there is a youtube video from the 1962 finals with Dick reffing).  But he loved to ref high school wrestling as well. 

Dick officiated the biggest District 1 meet of the 60's, when Upper Darby's 53 dual meet win streak was ended by Springfield in 1962, 21-20.  He reffed a lot of my dual meets, so I was very familiar with him.  

Dick DiBatista holds a place as one of the GOAT's of District 1. His record speaks for itself. And even as a ref, 20 years after he wrestled, he was slapped together. Big shoulders and arms, cat-like quickness on the mat. And the matches were always about the wrestlers, never about him. He was a heck of a guy.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic