FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

College

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Coach78 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 8:09am
I made the correction to Paul's record.

I didn't realize that about Cody's current weight. Having depth is always a good thing, particularly for duals. For the post season, each team can have two kids per weight class, so there should be plenty of opportunity for most everyone to compete for that national title and All-American status.

It definitely looks to be an exciting year for the Golden Rams!! The kids are very excited to have Alray in the room full time. He was there a couple of times last year and I was told that he's still really quick. They will all benefit from his extensive knowledge and experience.
neverquit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverquit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 4:28pm

Not to be disrespectful but.......who is Alray Johnson?

oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by neverquit neverquit wrote:

Alray was a great WC wrestler in the late '60s or early '70s. I'm drawing a blank as to exactly when.  Back then, the MAC University Division had some real studs, and Alray was one of the best.  He went to HS at Pottstown.

Alray became head coach at Downingtown in the late 70's or early 80's.  I think he coached for like 16 years.  He turned the wimpettes into the consistently best team in D1 South.  As I recall D-town won like 77 league matches in a row - that was doing something when the league was the Ches-Mont with both Great Valley and Phoenixville putting out consistently great teams.  I think they won 2 SE Regional team titles during that run.

He coached some great wrestlers --  some of the state place winners I remember from those teams:  Tom Urban, John Lucerne (NCAA Place winner), Bruce Tharp(about the biggest heart I ever saw - wrestled his senior year on one leg and still won Districts), Bill Gillespie, John Browning, Dave Lucerne. 

And 2nd best, Mike Seese, one of the best takedown men I ever saw.  Downingtown and Easton were wrestling in a dual meet, and both Seese and Jack Cuvo had been at 112 all season.  Boy I wanted to see that match.  But Cuvo dropped to 103 and destroyed Dave Lucerne.  Cuvo was a 3x state champ and I think a 2x National champ.  But he would have had his hands full with Mike Seese.

And finally, Glen Koser:  what a beast!  2 time state finalist, champion as a junior, then ruined his knee his senior year and DNP.  He tore people up like no one in D1 history before Chris Kwortnik.  IMHO Koser was in D1's top 5 all-time.  Koser went on to coach Downingtown and West Chester Henderson.  In my opinion, he turned Jermaine Jones from a fairly decent wrestler into a 2x state champ.  It took him half a season to do it.  The change in Jones was just remarkable.

So who was Alray Johnson? I guess that answers your question.  BTW he's a pretty nice guy, too.

[/QUOTE]

Edited by oldcougar - Aug 26 2009 at 5:22pm
Coach78 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 5:22pm
He also competed in the Olympic trials, 1972 I think. And yes, he is a great guy, as well.
neverquit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverquit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 8:58pm

thank oldcougar....very informative...I like it!!!!

seanod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 7:21am

oldcougar you couldn't of described it any better(except the whimmettes comment). With that kinda resume I can't figure out why Alray had not been nominated for the hall of fame. Its a question I thought about bringing up several times when reading the forum. Not to be disrespectful to others voted in, but there are coaches in the hall of fame that never beat a Alray coach team. Any insist from others of how Alray would get nominated or why he has not ?

oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 7:26am
Sorry, seanod, but my son wrestled for Downingtown  (and for Alray for that matter) and I always ALWAYS call them the wimpettes - just to get in a dig at him.

You gotta admit, it's about the lamest mascot going.

Edited by oldcougar - Aug 27 2009 at 7:26am
seanod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 7:50am
Originally posted by oldcougar oldcougar wrote:

Sorry, seanod, but my son wrestled for Downingtown  (and for Alray for that matter) and I always ALWAYS call them the wimpettes - just to get in a dig at him.

You gotta admit, it's about the lamest mascot going.

thats fair. What's your view on the hall of fame? Who was your son?

Edited by seanod - Aug 27 2009 at 7:57am
Franny Lutz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franny Lutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 3:07am
nice cougs always one to teach the youngins. mr. leggs alray was and maybe still is.

Originally posted by oldcougar oldcougar wrote:

Originally posted by neverquit neverquit wrote:

Alray was a great WC wrestler in the late '60s or early '70s. I'm drawing a blank as to exactly when.  Back then, the MAC University Division had some real studs, and Alray was one of the best.  He went to HS at Pottstown.

Alray became head coach at Downingtown in the late 70's or early 80's.  I think he coached for like 16 years.  He turned the wimpettes into the consistently best team in D1 South.  As I recall D-town won like 77 league matches in a row - that was doing something when the league was the Ches-Mont with both Great Valley and Phoenixville putting out consistently great teams.  I think they won 2 SE Regional team titles during that run.

He coached some great wrestlers --  some of the state place winners I remember from those teams:  Tom Urban, John Lucerne (NCAA Place winner), Bruce Tharp(about the biggest heart I ever saw - wrestled his senior year on one leg and still won Districts), Bill Gillespie, John Browning, Dave Lucerne. 

And 2nd best, Mike Seese, one of the best takedown men I ever saw.  Downingtown and Easton were wrestling in a dual meet, and both Seese and Jack Cuvo had been at 112 all season.  Boy I wanted to see that match.  But Cuvo dropped to 103 and destroyed Dave Lucerne.  Cuvo was a 3x state champ and I think a 2x National champ.  But he would have had his hands full with Mike Seese.

And finally, Glen Koser:  what a beast!  2 time state finalist, champion as a junior, then ruined his knee his senior year and DNP.  He tore people up like no one in D1 history before Chris Kwortnik.  IMHO Koser was in D1's top 5 all-time.  Koser went on to coach Downingtown and West Chester Henderson.  In my opinion, he turned Jermaine Jones from a fairly decent wrestler into a 2x state champ.  It took him half a season to do it.  The change in Jones was just remarkable.

So who was Alray Johnson? I guess that answers your question.  BTW he's a pretty nice guy, too.

[/QUOTE]
to all wrestlers don't forget to give back what others have taught you.
buddha31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddha31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 12:36am
I'm sure everyone has noticed the huge impact Cael is having at PSU immediately.  As a Lehigh fan, I dread the flow of in-state talent heading to Happy Valley.  That being said, I'm glad it is staying In State for a change.  There may still be a silver lining here for the smaller PA schools; I sure hope so.  It would be great to see Lehigh, Edinboro, PSU, Penn, Pitt, Bloomsburg and others, all in the final top twenty-five nationally.
"Great spirits encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds"
- Einstein
neverquit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverquit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2009 at 10:10am
Originally posted by btownwrestling btownwrestling wrote:

Alex pellicciotti gave a verbal to bucknell.

Congrats to Alex on verballing to Bucknell......great kid!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic