FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CA Moves Wrestling to Spring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Moves Wrestling to Spring
    Posted: Jul 22 2020 at 10:00am
idontknow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idontknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2020 at 7:29am
This would be horrible for PA. How many wrestlers would be lost to Lacrosse, Baseball or Track?

We complain about forfeits now. It would ruin the sport.
But what do I know
Baby78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baby78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2020 at 10:44am
Although I agree it would be terrible to lose kids to the typical spring sports, I would still rather see the PIAA go in that direction than lose the whole 2020-2021 season.
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2020 at 11:44am
Consider this:  in the Spring, they could move the mats out onto the football field (like Iowa?). 
Then we could   a) practice social distancing 
                        b) seat thousands of people for duals 
                        c) run track meets contiguously with wrestling meets. The 152 pounder could slip over and run the 100, then come back in time for his dual match. I had a friend who made the final 4 at states in wrestling and qualified for the state shotput championship. Voila! Run the state meets in tandem as well. No one loses anything.

Mctuna40 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2020 at 10:43pm
Downingtown went Virtual school until Nov5th - I guess that is a magical day??  I can not imagine that fall sports will proceed... very sad day
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2020 at 3:01pm
There will be a big push to get spring sports in 2021 because they lost out last year. Down here in Berwyn there were a bunch of hammers in Lacrosse trying to lay hold of gold and nab the top spot from LaSalle again this past spring. It'll be interesting to see if these two collide for the 7th time in a piaa lacrosse state tournament final which started in 2009. Quite a rivalry. Public vs Private doesn't get any better than that reminds me of the movie The Outsiders Greasers vs Socs.

Edited by Berwyn - Jul 24 2020 at 3:12pm
Mctuna40 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2020 at 12:00am
Lol who is the greasers? The wealthy kids from Stoga or the wealthy Prep kids from LaSalle?

As a SJP alumni I’m going to be pulling for the Wealthy Stoga kids!
Mctuna40 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2020 at 12:09am
And Berwyn I truly hope you are correct and spring sports happen... my daughter lost 1/2 her Sophomore LAX season to a concussion and whiplash, then last spring to this God forsaken virus. It isn’t a good time for HS athletes. I hope there will be sports for all seasons!  Some semblance of normalcy when the kids are on the field, court or mat!  I think we can all agree to 2 things.

1 we want these kids to have n opportunity to compete 
2 Covid-19 is biggest obstacle to stop my SJP Hawks from winning another State FB title... sorry had to do it!Smile
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2020 at 12:01pm
Based on input from several teleconferences with the NCAA Coordinator of Officials, and the actions taken by several conferences, NCAA wrestling will be a single semester sport in 2020-2021.  The only question appears to be whether to keep the current mid-March date for the D1 championships.  This would result in an 8 week season.  Alternatives would be to move the championships to later in the year.  This would involve a lot of logistical issues, the main one being would the arena be available at a later date.
Mctuna40 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2020 at 9:12am
Thanks Ref! I pray the plan goes into place!
Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2020 at 3:27pm
Mctuna40 last year's Saint Joe's vs Southern both state champs but different PIAA classes. Interesting how that game would of panned out. I don't know HS football enough to create an actual idea of how it would of gone down even hypothetically. 

Edited by Berwyn - Jul 29 2020 at 12:38pm
Mctuna40 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mctuna40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2020 at 7:13pm
The advantage the Prep always has in modern day HS FB... not in my time at all... is they get 70+ kids on their FR Team.  So if they move forward 1/2 of those kids it is 35kids a grade.  They have so many athletes and run players with backups at each position.  They just overwhelm other teams with fresh kids!  If anyone saw the Coatesville vs SJP Final 4 playoff game a few years ago. CV was a more skilled team but their best kids played both ways and SJP kept rolling out a fresh kid at each position O & D. Eventually the Prep overwhelmed CV and just bludgeoned them into mistakes and exhaustion.  

My HS teammates kid was on the team the last 4 years.  He told me they had 7 players that ran a 4.5 or below 2 played mostly JV!  It’s insane!!!

Berwyn View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2020 at 9:04pm
Mctuna40 tx for summing-up the main points on how & why Saint Joe's is so powerful. My guess would be that St. Joe's would have an edge up front with the size and being able to replenish defense and offensive lines.

I'm not familiar with Southern Columbia's depth chart other than they had five guys go division 1 if I'm not mistaken. It would be hard to count Southern out they were never tested. Southern has a winning streak that broke the state record for most wins in a row. If I were a betting man I don't know how I bet against Southern. 

One of the football players that wrestled at 220 Preston Zachman forgoed his senior wrestling season by accepting a football scholarship to Wisconsin in January. Had he stayed Southern Columbia could have perhaps given Notre Dame-Green Pond a better run for their money.

Edited by Berwyn - Jul 29 2020 at 3:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic