FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A very odd ranking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
rocky View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2022 at 11:01am
I suspect all three of them recruit.
WT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2022 at 12:59pm
Well said.
Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2022 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by botero botero wrote:

Like Nazareth and Waynesburg and Reynolds?

Please list the PJW champions that have attended those schools in the past 15 years. There has to be dozens with all the recruiting they are doing. 
Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
monkeyBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeyBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2022 at 9:42pm
Don't forget, there's a big difference between schools (coaches, administrators, etc) recruiting and people enrolling their kids into private schools or moving to a new public school district on their own.

If any of those schools mentioned actually are or were actively recruiting athletes to their schools, they'd be punished.  See Bishop McCort.  They got caught recruiting TWICE in the last few years.

And don't misinterpret what I'm saying, I don't like the private schools dominating the team side of things either but they are playing by the PIAA rules - even if it doesn't feel like it.
Shock the Monkey!
Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2022 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by monkeyBoy monkeyBoy wrote:

Don't forget, there's a big difference between schools (coaches, administrators, etc) recruiting and people enrolling their kids into private schools or moving to a new public school district on their own.

If any of those schools mentioned actually are or were actively recruiting athletes to their schools, they'd be punished.  See Bishop McCort.  They got caught recruiting TWICE in the last few years.

And don't misinterpret what I'm saying, I don't like the private schools dominating the team side of things either but they are playing by the PIAA rules - even if it doesn't feel like it.

I agree with you. I highly doubt BECA recruits anyone. They are however an option for elite wrestlers that live in a school district with a less-competitive wrestling program. That happens every year and will continue to be the case for years to come. 
WT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2022 at 9:10am
You are so correct! Schools that build a strong program that get results will draw the athletes. In your community why are some programs better then others? They draw the athletes because of their success. The best recruiter is a successful program. The programs mentioned all have a long tradition that naturally will draw wrestlers both from in and out of the community. The question is what can I do better? "If you build it they will come." 
botero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote botero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2022 at 5:49pm
Reynolds has a PIAA state champ from another team at their school this year. Does that one count? 
rocky View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2022 at 6:21pm
ZAM
monkeyBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeyBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2022 at 7:05pm

Reynolds has a PIAA state champ from another team at their school this year. Does that one count? 

Saw that news and honestly was shocked that he'll be eligible for the post-season, if the rumors are true.  Maybe I shouldn't have been shocked at this point?  Curious how they got that approved if true, but we'll probably never know (and that's probably for the best, I suppose).  Considering how close those two districts are, I doubt the reason would be a parent's job changed.  Family used to have a pretty active twitter account too but now it's private, so there's that.

Either way, I think everyone would agree that it's much easier for a private school to assemble a "super team" than a public school.  Though clearly both can do it with transfers.

If we think it's bad in wrestling, check out basketball and football.  There's a reason the PIAA included transfers in their competition formula for the classifications of those sports.
Shock the Monkey!
mo bloodyoung View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mo bloodyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2022 at 7:40am

Faith has a 21 year old sophomore too
monkeyBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeyBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2022 at 11:57am
Originally posted by mo bloodyoung mo bloodyoung wrote:

If that's true, wouldn't that make him ineligible to participate in PIAA athletics?
Shock the Monkey!
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2022 at 9:30pm

If that's true, wouldn't that make him ineligible to participate in PIAA athletics?
It's obviously just a bad joke. 
Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2022 at 10:06pm

No. I said specifically "PJW champions". If those schools recruit, surely they got some PJW champions to transfer in prior to beginning H.S.

Also I'm talking about the JH tournament.

Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2022 at 10:13pm

Saw that news and honestly was shocked that he'll be eligible for the post-season, if the rumors are true.  Maybe I shouldn't have been shocked at this point?  Curious how they got that approved if true, but we'll probably never know (and that's probably for the best, I suppose).  Considering how close those two districts are, I doubt the reason would be a parent's job changed.  Family used to have a pretty active twitter account too but now it's private, so there's that.

Either way, I think everyone would agree that it's much easier for a private school to assemble a "super team" than a public school.  Though clearly both can do it with transfers.

If we think it's bad in wrestling, check out basketball and football.  There's a reason the PIAA included transfers in their competition formula for the classifications of those sports.

Does anyone honestly believe Reynolds "recruited" that wrestler? Don't get me wrong, the transfer is almost certainly athletically motivated but no one from Reynolds recruited him.
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2022 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Dodfan Dodfan wrote:

Does anyone honestly believe Reynolds "recruited" that wrestler? Don't get me wrong, the transfer is almost certainly athletically motivated but no one from Reynolds recruited him.

I saw yesterday that Hickory did not sign off on the transfer, and there's apparently a District 10 hearing today on the matter.  As it stands now, he's not eligible for regular season or post-season.  I'm not sure if the hearing today will address both appeals that are needed or just for the regular season.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2022 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by MTLeister MTLeister wrote:

I saw yesterday that Hickory did not sign off on the transfer, and there's apparently a District 10 hearing today on the matter.  As it stands now, he's not eligible for regular season or post-season.  I'm not sure if the hearing today will address both appeals that are needed or just for the regular season.

Just to follow-up on the story with Louie Gill...  Today's hearing was with District 10 and they ruled that he's eligible to compete during the regular season but ineligible for the post-season (due to transferring after 10th grade).  That's pending a possible appeal.  Assuming he doesn't transfer again, he would be eligible for the post-season next season.
PA-Wrestling.com - online home for Pennsylvania wrestling - https://twitter.com/PA_wrestling
mo bloodyoung View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mo bloodyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2022 at 12:03am

What would be the athletic reason to transfer to Reynolds. He's already a state champ and he's already committed to NC State? Why lose a season of your career just to wrestle for a better duals team?
MTLeister View Drop Down
Administrators
Administrators

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTLeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2022 at 12:09pm

What would be the athletic reason to transfer to Reynolds. He's already a state champ and he's already committed to NC State? Why lose a season of your career just to wrestle for a better duals team?

Not sure, though Hickory is moving up to AAA this season and Reynolds is still AA.  That's been one thing that's been talked about but most likely it's something else that won't be discussed publicly. 
Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2022 at 3:03pm

Coaches? Practice partners? I have no clue. 
lbdoinit View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbdoinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2022 at 4:46pm
I see on FLO at the Waterway Duals, a Charlie Robson (Conwell Egan?) wrestled with the kids from CR South. Was he just filling a slot or is now at a different school?
Cold iron shackles, ball and chain. Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic