FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A very odd ranking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A very odd ranking
    Posted: Aug 27 2022 at 10:55pm
I was perusing Flo's rankings for this year. These are the national rankings, and I look to see how the PA kids are ranked and if I know them. Working my way up to 120, I saw that there were 5 PA wrestlers ranked in the top 20 in the nation at that weight class.  The anomaly? Three of them are from Bishop McCort. That's three kids from the same team ranked in the top 20 in the nation at the same weight class.

Jeez, if I'm a JV wrestler on a team on McCort's schedule, I'd start sweating.  
Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2022 at 9:34am
Originally posted by oldcougar oldcougar wrote:

I was perusing Flo's rankings for this year. These are the national rankings, and I look to see how the PA kids are ranked and if I know them. Working my way up to 120, I saw that there were 5 PA wrestlers ranked in the top 20 in the nation at that weight class.  The anomaly? Three of them are from Bishop McCort. That's three kids from the same team ranked in the top 20 in the nation at the same weight class.

Jeez, if I'm a JV wrestler on a team on McCort's schedule, I'd start sweating.  

I wouldn't count on seeing any of them in the post season any time soon. 
Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
KC1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2022 at 12:22pm
There were also a couple of weights with 2 BECA kids and 2 Wyoming Sem. kids.   Easier to separate 2 than 3 though, obviously   
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2022 at 12:19am
Originally posted by KC1 KC1 wrote:

There were also a couple of weights with 2 BECA kids and 2 Wyoming Sem. kids.   Easier to separate 2 than 3 though, obviously   

Yes, I saw that. Wouldn't it be a treat if some of these nationally ranked kids went to an actual high school where they resided?  
This is an embarrassment of riches. Why do high school teams need 2/3 nationally ranked kids at the same weight class? I remember one state championship where some wrestling publication predicted the winners before sectionals. They chose a Northern Allegheny kid at 112. But he might drop to 103. If he does, they chose Northern Allegheny's 2nd string 112 pounder to win. They were wrong. He came in second.

There was a time back in the day when the New York Yankees had all the money. They bought all the stars they needed. Just to give themselves some cushion, they used the Kansas City Athletics as essentially a farm team. They needed a quick fix? They'd bring someone over from the A's. 

This can't really be healthy for the sport, can it? We're reaching a weird time in wrestling history. A few teams are acquiring all the individual champions for themselves.  Team championships are becoming more and more meaningless. One or two super-teams may compete for the titles, but all the other teams can take a hike. Makes a championship event kind of lose its luster.

Edited by oldcougar - Aug 30 2022 at 12:21am
eas88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2022 at 8:02pm
Its not just a wrestling issue. St Joe's Prep has been in the PIAA Football State Championship game every year for the past 6 years, winning 4 titles. Don't know for sure, but it wouldn't shock me if this was a trend in other sports also.  
KC1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2022 at 1:54pm
I believe you also see it in basketball with district 12 either a private school or through open enrollment.  It's only a matter of time before they do something about it.  The problem I see is that they already have 6 classifications for football, not sure how many for basketball.  Wouldn't want another classification for wrestling - 2 is fine for individuals.  

The McCort thing with the 3 kids at 120 nationally ranked - They also have a 126 nationally ranked.  where are they going to fit into the lineup?

Faith Christian had a ton of freshmen/underclassmen last year who were high level wrestlers.  seems a little unfair teamwise for them to compete at AA going forward.  
Low Single View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Low Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 10:17am
It's pretty simple.  Teams that recruit wrestlers that don't live in their school district boundaries are prep teams and should not be competing against public schools in PIAA.
mo bloodyoung View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mo bloodyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Low Single Low Single wrote:

It's pretty simple.  Teams that recruit wrestlers that don't live in their school district boundaries are prep teams and should not be competing against public schools in PIAA.

Will District 1 cheer Faith Christian at team states in the next few years or root for its demise?
wrestlinggeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestlinggeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2022 at 7:49am
Originally posted by mo bloodyoung mo bloodyoung wrote:

Will District 1 cheer Faith Christian at team states in the next few years or root for its demise?

I will neither root for or against them.  They just simply aren't on my radar. 
I liken them to the team kong and shutt in va beach phenomenon.  Sure, they recruit kids from all over.  But you don't see them (shutt & kong) competing at Disney Duals where you're limited to geographical boundaries.
cbal24 View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbal24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2022 at 10:56am
Kong and Shutt don't practice together and are just hired gun teams for events.  I see no comparison to Faith Christian.
Win or lose, do it with class!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2022 at 3:17pm
I won't root for their demise but, C'mon Man, they are a prep team.  PIAA is at fault not the kids.  What are your feeling on the topic Mo?

Edited by Low Single - Sep 08 2022 at 3:25pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2022 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by cbal24 cbal24 wrote:

Kong and Shutt don't practice together and are just hired gun teams for events.  I see no comparison to Faith Christian.

Agreed, but 90 percent of FC's roster doesn't live in Quakertown and are hired guns for a 6 year high school career.  I see no comparison to PIAA public schools.
mo bloodyoung View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mo bloodyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2022 at 4:45pm

I won't root for their demise but, C'mon Man, they are a prep team.  PIAA is at fault not the kids.  What are your feeling on the topic Mo?

I think it definitely lessens the magnitude of any accomplishments when it's done on a buy-a-title team like St. Joe's Prep in football or BECA in wrestling. Sure winning is great, but also, you should win when your team is stacked against other teams because you take advantage of lopsided rules. Where's the pride these days?
Dodfan View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2022 at 7:49pm
I have bad news for all of you. Noting is going to change and it's only going to get worse. The PIAA isn't going to do anything to stop this. There was legislation floated a few years back, but it went nowhere. 

The schools need to take things into their own hands. Start forfeiting to them. The PIAA may have to do something if no schools will compete against SJP in football or BECA in wrestling etc. Easier said than done because no coach wants to do something like that. 

Proud Singer of the "whining siren song"
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2022 at 5:19pm
We have to grin and bear it. Everything's changing. State duals used to be a tremendous series of tournaments. The D1 tourney was often awesome, just trying to qualify for states. But now they all know that at the end of the road is an immovable barrier. It's going to be some super team. Even some public schools recruit heavily. I'd like to know the home town of most of Reynold's wrestlers. Heck, I'd like to know the home state!  I guess this is the era of monopolies.

(Speak that softly around Penn State. That's a monopoly that I love.)

Edited by oldcougar - Sep 09 2022 at 5:20pm
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 1:27pm
Why. would FCA, who has maybe 160-170 students in the HS want to compete at AAA just because they have a good wrestling program?  Given the in season tournaments they compete in they get plenty of competition.  Also, the post-season in AA is quite good.

Originally posted by KC1 KC1 wrote:

Faith Christian had a ton of freshmen/underclassmen last year who were high level wrestlers.  seems a little unfair teamwise for them to compete at AA going forward.  
NCAARef View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAARef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 1:29pm
Actually, it's pretty simple.  As long as you play by the PIAA rules you should be competing in the PIAA.  Your argument is with the PIAA not the FCAs of the world.

Edited by NCAARef - Sep 14 2022 at 1:31pm
oldcougar View Drop Down
Fanatics
Fanatics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcougar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2022 at 9:07pm
NCAARef is the voice of reason. 
On the one hand, I understand the feelings of the home-grown teams. On the other, I really like to watch the FCA wrestlers. 

Edited by oldcougar - Sep 15 2022 at 9:11pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2022 at 10:47am
Originally posted by NCAARef NCAARef wrote:

Actually, it's pretty simple.  As long as you play by the PIAA rules you should be competing in the PIAA.  Your argument is with the PIAA not the FCAs of the world.

I believe I said it's the PIAA's fault.  I don't blame the schools or the kids.  It still is pretty simple.  The teams that are built from recruiting are prep teams that are able to destroy public schools that can't recruit.

botero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote botero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2022 at 11:57am
Like Nazareth and Waynesburg and Reynolds?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic